Second Skin Audio

Sub died, looking for options

I own a SSD Neo 15 and am in awe of how musical it is / how tight it hits. Thus, I share the opinion of those above. I would also say that if you want to save space then think about a 10". Great musical bang for the buck, will easily take your power, handmade in USA and super aesthetically appealing.

2017 F-150 3.5L Screw EcoBoost XLT Sport

- Factory HU + Lc7i  + Zapco I-4100 + Morel Tempo + SQ 2250 + Fi SSD Neo 15

What would be the main difference(s) between the neo and the ferrite version? Is one or the other better suited for a specific enclosure design or music frequency ? Or like sq vs spl ? I’m considering an ssd model for my next purchase, I just purchased the Fi FiDay 15” budget line sub, I’ve not built the box for it or installed yet, it’s going in my wife’s Camry. But for my truck I intend on going a different route for my next install to replace my single skar DDX 12 subwoofer..

I haven't heard my Neo's ferrite counterpart yet, so take this worth a grain of salt. The main differences in specs are:

$100 in price

28mm xmax (neo) and 22mm xmax (ferrite)

Power handling - 1750w (neo) vs 1250w (ferrite) - my assumption is that this is a result of inherent cooling differences by way of design (motor) but I'm sure people will tell you you can run the ferrite version on just as much power as the neo.

Vas is significantly higher on neo version (more moveable air due to less stiff suspension - this may have SQ implications in favor of Neo version) 

BL (motor force) higher on ferrite  

Their FS is similar so you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference in bandwidth between the 2 subs (all variables controlled). Box wise I would go ported with both subs.

My OPINION would be, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say, that the Neo is probably a tad louder and more musical. As I said, though, I haven't heard both. I think the Neo version is worth the $100 for the potential SQ gain, greater power handling, and aesthetics. If I were you, I would ask someone on the Fi fb page (Dan Cantrell?) if he has heard them both and see what he thinks or email Brian at Fi tech support and get his opinion. I would be curios to hear what they tell you.

2017 F-150 3.5L Screw EcoBoost XLT Sport

- Factory HU + Lc7i  + Zapco I-4100 + Morel Tempo + SQ 2250 + Fi SSD Neo 15

• 2 months later...

Instead of making a new thread I wanted to say thanks for the advice, I spoke with Fi over Facebook, gave them my box info and they recommend the SSD neo. 

I asked what if any we're the differences between the neo and ferrite and this is what they said.  "The magnets themselves serve the same purpose.  NEO is just stronger pound for pound. As far as the SSD NEO vs. Ferrite SSD - there is more than the magnet change there.  The SSD NEO has several improvements to add to the power handling and max output."

In the meantime I bought some 8awg and 4awg wire so I can move my amps and fire into the cabin.  I'm also going to redo my box because my first attempt though functional looks like shit and is off in a few places, hopefully I'll be able to do better the second time around.

Archived