Sundown Audio

Is 1ohm or 2ohm load on a amp better at the same wattage?

BONES

I hope I don't say this to confusing but I'm looking into upgrade my system and I was wondering what is better at the same wattage 1ohm or 2ohm load on the amp. Obvisously it's 2 different amps but very close in wattage. What are the pro's and con's of both on the amp & subs. I'll be running 2 15's an 1 amp on each sub.

Thanks

Well running at 1ohm gives you alot more choices on how many subs to run, but a 2 ohm load will draw less current, but without knowing the brand or model and seeing if there is a amp dyno it is hard to tell, and some amps go bad quicker being driven at 1ohm vs 2ohm because it puts more strain on the internals even though they are ment to handle the load.

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

It's gonna be PSI platform 3 or 4 and DD M Series amps

Ohm's law states that wattage and current are directly related, as well as both being tied to voltage.  Amplifier X with a 1ohm load putting out 1000 watts RMS (for example) would draw the same current as Amplifier Y running through 2 ohms and 1k watts.  Distortion tends to increase with the decrease in resistance at the speaker...i.e. a 2 ohm load will generally be cleaner than a 1 ohm load...but with less wattage from the same amplifier.  I tend to be conservative in my choices for gear and try to buy more power potential than I need, for cleaner sound and reliability.

I do have to add that SPL stuff boggles my mind and I don't understand why so many aim to have systems that literally blow out windows and fry up speakers.  That is just a big waste of money, in my eyes and in my ears.  It is like the competition is more about who can blow up more shit than the next guy...like there is some sort of pride in ruining perfectly good gear all in a one second burp test.  They would be better off buying a single stick of dynamite and pop that bitch off in the car for the test instead of using speakers to do it.  I just don't get it...but whatever floats your boat.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

26 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Ohm's law states that wattage and current are directly related, as well as both being tied to voltage.  Amplifier X with a 1ohm load putting out 1000 watts RMS (for example) would draw the same current as Amplifier Y running through 2 ohms and 1k watts.  Distortion tends to increase with the decrease in resistance at the speaker...i.e. a 2 ohm load will generally be cleaner than a 1 ohm load...but with less wattage from the same amplifier.  I tend to be conservative in my choices for gear and try to buy more power potential than I need, for cleaner sound and reliability.

I do have to add that SPL stuff boggles my mind and I don't understand why so many aim to have systems that literally blow out windows and fry up speakers.  That is just a big waste of money, in my eyes and in my ears.  It is like the competition is more about who can blow up more shit than the next guy...like there is some sort of pride in ruining perfectly good gear all in a one second burp test.  They would be better off buying a single stick of dynamite and pop that bitch off in the car for the test instead of using speakers to do it.  I just don't get it...but whatever floats your boat.

One thing you are missing is the fact that efficiency changes by load. Therefore 1000w @ 2ohms will not draw the same current from the electrical system as 1000w @ 1 ohm.

if @ 1 ohm it is say 65% efficiency, it will take roughly 118A (assuming 13V) where as if @ 2 ohms and say 75% efficiency it will draw roughly 103A.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

41 minutes ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

One thing you are missing is the fact that efficiency changes by load. Therefore 1000w @ 2ohms will not draw the same current from the electrical system as 1000w @ 1 ohm.

if @ 1 ohm it is say 65% efficiency, it will take roughly 118A (assuming 13V) where as if @ 2 ohms and say 75% efficiency it will draw roughly 103A.

Yes.  Efficiency suffers, along with added distortion.  I also didn't mention the heat factor.  That lost power through inefficiency manifests as heat..wicked out of the heatsink. (This is an important factor here in Phoenix, as its gets stupidly fucking hot here in the summer, but elsewhere too.  I still want to jam in the summer, as I am sure y'all do too)

One trait I have noticed throughout the years is that people want to get the most bang for the buck (obviously)...but this can lead to purchasing gear that does not match the intended use.  There is also a factor of dishonesty from makers and their power ratings...they cater to the ignorant, who think they can get something for nothing. Not all the makers do this, but many sure do.  "..but the maker said the amp would put out 5000 amps for $200! ..and my speakers can handle that....but they blew right away when I tried to do that."

I don't want to get into a rant.  Just want to say a big "thank you" to the Meades, the Blankenships, and the BigDWiz and the other fellows who test this gear to get real performance specs. 

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

To add on to one of the comments of the system sounding better with 2 ohm vs 1 ohm, damping factor comes into play. If unfamiliar, damping factor is the ability of the amplifier to start and stop I.E. change directions of the subwoofer cone, damping factor will be higher when run at  2ohm over 1ohm, that is with the same amplifier running 1 or 2 ohm. You mentioned different equipment so that may not be  as much of a factor if brand X starts off with better damping than brand Y it may end up that the amp running 1 ohm still has a higher damping factor but it' something to keep in mind.

Personally I like to run too large of an amp for headroom, I believe that the least amount of strain on the amp fives the best sound quality.

To touch on "Crazy 8's Drum" comment about people who do  SPL. It takes all kinds to make the world go round,  just because you choose not to do SPL you automatically say that those people are wrong. I say you do your thing and I'll do mine and if it' left at that we can all get along, why people think that because they see things 1 way, they believe that everyone else should see it that way is beyond me, have fun doing what you do and let others have fun doing what they do.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

"  just because you choose not to do SPL you automatically say that those people are wrong. " ....  I didn't say they are wrong.  I just don't understand it.  There are lots of different hobbies that just burn up money.  Formula 1 racing for example...spend million$ on a car and a team...just to explode it in one race and then rebuild it for the next race.

If it makes you happy!  :D  (I do admit that I like pissing people off with the bass-a-boomin'!)

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

16 hours ago, rambronco said:

To add on to one of the comments of the system sounding better with 2 ohm vs 1 ohm, damping factor comes into play. If unfamiliar, damping factor is the ability of the amplifier to start and stop I.E. change directions of the subwoofer cone, damping factor will be higher when run at  2ohm over 1ohm, that is with the same amplifier running 1 or 2 ohm. You mentioned different equipment so that may not be  as much of a factor if brand X starts off with better damping than brand Y it may end up that the amp running 1 ohm still has a higher damping factor but it' something to keep in mind.

Personally I like to run too large of an amp for headroom, I believe that the least amount of strain on the amp fives the best sound quality.

To touch on "Crazy 8's Drum" comment about people who do  SPL. It takes all kinds to make the world go round,  just because you choose not to do SPL you automatically say that those people are wrong. I say you do your thing and I'll do mine and if it' left at that we can all get along, why people think that because they see things 1 way, they believe that everyone else should see it that way is beyond me, have fun doing what you do and let others have fun doing what they do.

is it that easy to be upset by a dude running Rockville equipment? Lol

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived