Second Skin Audio

Box design Help

schwarzl

Hi, been out of car audio for years. I'm getting back into doing a mini system with some random stuff I have collected. I am using Torres box calculator and trying to figure out how big to cut my port pieces for a Slot Port. I'm using to Massive Hippo 8's. I want to use a 1" Baffle so I put the extra baffle as 1 and the baffle thickness as .5, the calculator didnt want to seem to move by entering just 1 in the thickness, it stayed the same as .75, as in the volume didn't adjust at all. Thanks for any help.

hippo 8 box.png

Use driver displacement = 0.2, # of common port walls = 3 (non shared port) and leave blank or zero the # of extra baffles unless you are doing a double layer baffle. Then you can see about the length of your port parts.

Thanks for your help, unfortuantly I have zero patience and built the box already. I used .9 cubes of displacement when it should have been .09 cubes. So if I worked it out right, I've now got a box thats 2.85 cubes tuned to 27.5 hz.... At least I work at a cabinet shop so I can just remake another box. So this is what I worked out for the next one. For some reason it cuts the top off the image. The dimensions are 15" High, 37" wide and 11.5" deep. So with these new dimensions is the physical port length the length of the walls for the slot port? So I would have one piece cut at 7.5" x 13.5" and the other at 24.25" x 13.5"?

5ac9913629e41_newhippobox.thumb.png.a1c47d20b94c0fee08813dd1b48174e4.png

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, things have changed a little. I am now awaiting the arrival of two more eights. So I have come up with this new box design and just want to confirm that I will be cutting it correctly. So the first part of the port that will be attached to the double baffle will be 13.5" high and 11" deep (plus the 1.5" baffle would make that part 12.5" total), and the attaching length would be 13.5" high and 23.25" long. Am I getting that right?

box.png

Archived