Sundown Audio

Strapping amp ?

Ron36

Wouldnt the amp b less efficient at .6 tho causing it to pull more current to make the same power? Not to mention the strain .6 puts on the amp. I would think it would be better for equipment and electrical to run 2 amps. Or just buy an amp that does what u want at 1 ohm. Imo i dont like wiring under 1 ohm.

57 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Wouldnt the amp b less efficient at .6 tho causing it to pull more current to make the same power? Not to mention the strain .6 puts on the amp. I would think it would be better for equipment and electrical to run 2 amps. Or just buy an amp that does what u want at 1 ohm. Imo i dont like wiring under 1 ohm.

Thats correct.  The question is "what is difference in efficiency?"  And then does the cost of a second amp justify the 10% (or whatever the number is) of efficiency increase?  The question is how much is to be gained?  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

The efficincy of the amp may change a bit going from .6 to 1.3 for the better but not much. Current draw won' change much volts x amps = watts however you want to spin it so the electrical will still see the same load (give or take a little in either direction) but your amp/s will be much happier 2 amps splitting the duty will allow them to generate less heat which in the long run will make them last longer but at the expense of a second amp so you have to decide if that is worth it.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

I’ve also been looking at running a DD M4 or Skar sk 4500 at 2.6 ohms instead of strapping but all still seems the same but still think 2.6 is gonna help with electrical. Running at .6 right now is not a big issue I see mid 12’s on voltage but I know how hard it is on the ALT and wiring, just trying to get opinions on going a different route. I appreciate all the input.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived