Second Skin Audio

BIG PORT SHORT LENGHT

77-AUDIO

I have seen all these enclosures with all this port area and not very long.  How is this done and still be musical.  last system peaked at 45 hz

max width is 39" max depth is 14" and max height is 38"  looking at changing my subs out from 2 - 12" to 6 - 8" wdx g2's.  

power is a MMATS 2000.1 final ohm load at amp will be 1.3 ohms.  

stock battery, and stock 130a alt. 

future plans include 2 hc600 batteries and big 3.  

some help would be nice. 

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

If you are looking at Series-built Bandpasses, the outer visual chamber will always be tuned higher (40s-50hzs range).

If you are just looking at a normal 4th order vented enclosure, the only musical way for a very large port to be short is if the internal volume is extremely large.

468.png

I would go with a larger sub.  We have (4) PSI 8's in a 4th in my buddy's jeep and we're already talking about going to 12s.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Walled, 

I am getting a killer deal on the subs, so its what Im going to use.  I know they can get loud  used to have 4 dc 8" (the original ones) doing a 145 plus on a saz-1500 tuned to 32hz.  

so with a vehicle that has no flex(per cams) and more cone area than the current 2 - 12s and more cone area than 4 8s I should be able to get louder than what I currently have.  

so the question is still back to the original one.  box tuning for daily/spl and port area and short length of port.  

seen a box the other day had 2 15s was like 10 cubes 150 inches of port only 10" in length and it was loud and low.  

so not sure how that happens.  

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

Those bigger boxes may not be tuned as low as you think.  The bigger the box the shorter the port can be with the same tuning, all else being equal. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

well here is my max dims.  39 wide, 14 deep and 36 tall.  

subs can be on top, side or back.  cant face forward due to the seat and amp. 

and here are the subs http://dbdrive.net/product/wdx8g2-4/

and here is the amp. http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/product/mpa20001d/

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

Would something like this work?

image.png.40e25c290365f005f861f7ba6ff22bb8.png

Its 6.78 cu ft net (DB Drives recommendation) tuned to 33 Hz with 100 sq in of port area.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

thank you and yes it would but could it be turned to where the subs were as close to the bottom same face they are on now and the port at the top middle facing the same direction as the subs.  if not then could the port be put in the middle and 3 subs on the left and 3 on the right with the port facing up.   ( i have ocd and like stuff symmetrical.)  

doing it as pictured the subs would face the rear and the port would face up.  would this be an issue or will it utilize the back of my kia soul or would it kill it.  

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

So I built me a box for 2 of them to get me by and built it to spec. 2.26net and tuned to 33 hz with 20" of port and sounds like shit.  not anywhere near as loud as I have seen videos of other ones flexing the roof and moving some air yes for 8s.  but now Im wondering if I need to make the box bigger so I can add more port area say 30 to 33" of port.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

Archived