150 from the trunk? (Update) single Fi team 15 on Wolf 4.5k

Look up loud(over 150) trunk builds and see how they were doing it. The vast majority you'll see are not bandpass. The key is sealing off the inside of the trunk from the outside world. Look at Brocks and Thor's builds and see how they did it. A 4th BP leaves some DBs off of the table because you're ONLY utilizing the front sound wave of the subwoofer. A normal 4th order(non-bandpass) utilizes BOTH the rear and the front waves and in unison, hence the bump in output at tuning frequency. A straight forward, NORMAL vented enclosure will have plenty of bandwidth and also the added benefit of both sets of waves working together. Do this how you want and have fun, but you're complicating your build thinking a 4th BP is going to be magic. I ONLY build a 4th BP when the build requires it, like a truck with a blowthrough or certain walls. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a BP6 or a  Tapped Horn (BP6 also)?

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:12 PM, CleanSierra said:

Look up loud(over 150) trunk builds and see how they were doing it. 

Every one I've seen has been like Thor's.... sealed off at the rear seat and ported.   I've seen Thor's 10's, I've seen a couple similar with 12s and there was a guy up my way who had a single 15 and a big slot port that did 150 and change on 5K (he used both the AB 500.1 and Atomic 5K) out of his Civic trunk, he owned and tested most of the big boy SPL subs at the time: DC LV5 and 6, DD9515, Shocker Sig, TRF, Sundown Zv2 all got him 150 and small change.  IIRC he did 151 and a bit on two AB 500.1s.   Downside was that none of those subs really liked 5K.  One hard bass song would make them stinky. 

AFAIK Terry Brocks isn't sealed off but a fart box with a huge forward firing port all the way to the back of the trunk subs up.  He is an anomaly and likely has a lot more tricks up his sleeve to get to where he is out of a trunk.   Spend a decade building and tweaking trunk boxes like it's your job and you can probably get where he is.... I wouldn't even mention him in a trunk build discussion because what he does is just so far ahead of the pack it's scary.

Anyway, single 15 on 5K should get you there if you build a good box, seal off the trunk 100%, and do some tweaking and testing.  Pair of 12's may have been better for the sake of double the thermal power handling all things being equal.

1 hour ago, hispls said:

Every one I've seen has been like Thor's.... sealed off at the rear seat and ported.   I've seen Thor's 10's, I've seen a couple similar with 12s and there was a guy up my way who had a single 15 and a big slot port that did 150 and change on 5K (he used both the AB 500.1 and Atomic 5K) out of his Civic trunk, he owned and tested most of the big boy SPL subs at the time: DC LV5 and 6, DD9515, Shocker Sig, TRF, Sundown Zv2 all got him 150 and small change.  IIRC he did 151 and a bit on two AB 500.1s.   Downside was that none of those subs really liked 5K.  One hard bass song would make them stinky. 

AFAIK Terry Brocks isn't sealed off but a fart box with a huge forward firing port all the way to the back of the trunk subs up.  He is an anomaly and likely has a lot more tricks up his sleeve to get to where he is out of a trunk.   Spend a decade building and tweaking trunk boxes like it's your job and you can probably get where he is.... I wouldn't even mention him in a trunk build discussion because what he does is just so far ahead of the pack it's scary.

Anyway, single 15 on 5K should get you there if you build a good box, seal off the trunk 100%, and do some tweaking and testing.  Pair of 12's may have been better for the sake of double the thermal power handling all things being equal.

Decided on 2 12's on 5k in a 4th order ported thru the armrest. Going for musically loud and clean...

The sealing of the trunk is a vital step in getting all of the energy forward. The process involves essentially making the entire trunk an enclosure where no sound can escape anywhere but into the cabin and forward. Direct the sound waves into the cabin and you're in good shape. 

You're right about Brocks hispls, he shouldn't even be mentioned since it's freak of nature kind of results. Equipment available today, even compared to 5 years ago, has progressed and made this quest easier. The meter hasn't gotten any friendlier though, she's still stone-cold bitch. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

3 hours ago, CleanSierra said:

Equipment available today, even compared to 5 years ago, has progressed and made this quest easier. 

Meh, not really.  TC 4hp (TRF, TSNS, etc.) Shocker Sig, RE MT,  DD 95XX came out @15 years ago and any of those will hang with anything in production now and most of the Korean class D amps are still basically the same circuit they have been, Brazilian amps have been around a decade anyway.  The only real game changer for trunk builds by my estimation is battery technology which is really huge. 

Seems like OP is set on that bandpass.  I guess because they look more complicated people think they are better?

There's no bandwidth for efficiency trade you can't do the same with traditional ported design and by the time you make a very wide flat response you're down to the efficiency of a sealed box.  The real drawback I see is the extra complexity making more places for things to go wrong, and the issue of being able to audition new subs.  Most modern high output subs are designed to function best in ported alignment. 

13 hours ago, hispls said:

just to comment on a few things here.  There are a few people who were able to pull off those numbers with a few 15's and a ported box.  Some with a lot of power and some with not a lot of power.  Some playing above 40 hz and a few getting those numbers even at 30hz.  Pretty much all i have to say on this..

:ninja:

Archived