Sonic Electronix

Should I add enclosures to my front/rear deck?

I have a chevy spark. These cars came with really horrible stock systems. Small 4" speakers in the front dash, under the windsheild.  Small 4" speakers in the rear.  These speakers are open cavity. Meaning, behind the dash ones, is nothing but metal frame-work and misc wires/electronics. The rears, just dangle in the wind.

Right now, I run my 4 channels filtered out so they dont play much 'lows' as the subwoofer takes over from there.  Would I gain any benifit by adding any sort of enclosures around these? Ranging from plastic cups...foam cups...etc?

zOBm3Ssm.jpgB8arKbOm.jpg

Awhile ago, I 3D printed an adapter to mount 6" speakers in the rear, and 5.25" in the dash. However, These do not have anything around them, just like stock was.

Y51CynKm.jpg

Shoved a Sundown x8 v2 in the back. I dont have much space to work with, so I feel this is about the max box size I can do. Kinda sad the 400W 10" slim-sub from JL Audio, was able to play loudly..enough to vision blur and feel it good in your chest. But this 8, rated waaaay more wattage, cant. The box is tuned to 32hz, so it does get a lot lower.  Debating if I can extend the box and make it a dual 8" or even try to squeeze in a 10".

Do you recommend doing some sort of enclosure, if possible, for the dash, and then filling it up with polyfill?  You can literally see to the bottom of the floor, looking down the speaker holes.  Unless they make some sort of polyfill 'sheets'

You could use sound deadening. Anything too hold the polyfill in place. Maybe looking into the FAST RING system. Cut them down to the size that would fit and use adhesive Spray to make an enclosure. You could get elaborate and try to fiber glass something behind there. The idea is to cancel the back waves, and get the best sound firing out of the front of the driver.

IMG_2832_zpsa1dkvdln.jpg

They make these in 5.25" 6.5", 6x8" & 6x9"

IMG_2742_zps5ojrdzwy.jpg

IMG_2740_zpsakcjgw0e.jpg

IMG_2738_zpsj854zvpx.jpg

IMG_2739_zps6hjgbwdb.jpg   

This is what i did in my daughters 94 Suzuki SideKick. The dash location was open behind the stock speaker mounting area. I first reinforced the plastic with sound deadening material. Used wood and glue to strengthen the speaker mount and the fast ring system and extra foam to make a enclosure but purposely didn't it air tight but enough to cancel out the back wave and make these speakers shine. The slope of the dash wasn't ideal but with some tuning it sounded amazing. The speakers where 4" Faital Pro's crossed over at 120 hz and up. I bought a set of CT sounds 5.25 and out them in the kick panel with the tweeters up on the dash. Prime 250x4 amp, front ch ran the 4" and tweeters off a RF T1 crossover i had lying around and rear ch was active to the CT 5.25. Finished product sound really supper clean for a budget build, just had to get creative and spend some time planning it out and implementing it.

IMG_2761_zpssbzkrvpw.jpg

I cut out the metal behind the plastic panel, sound deadening & acoustic foam was used and end up super solid and clean sounding. Crossed over between 300 hz down to 80.

IMG_2727_zpsqkiclggz.jpg

A little rear fill for back passengers off HU power.

IMG_2765_zps2velmnvg.jpg

Amps under driver seat for front stage.  

IMG_2759_zpsge670myp.jpg

Mono amp for sub stage under passenger seat.

IMG_2764_zps1esfy26z.jpg

New Pioneer HU and RF prime 250x4 amp, Battery and Big 3 kit, new 4 gauge wiring kits, CT sounds 5.25 and the 4" Faital Pro's. Had less than $500 into it with extra mono amp and sub lying around. Turned out killer for my 18 yr old daughters first vehicle and system.

• 2 weeks later...

In the dash, my 5" speakers are pretty deep as they have really large magnets on them ( 200W rated ).   Since theres no depth limits, and I have to work from the top ( means bend the foam rings in, to make them fit through ) I was thinking of stacking 2 sets of rings, and forming a "cup".  I'm figuring it's good to cap the end, or even possibly add a small 'port' hole? to kind of create an enclosure.

lcaYAcdl.jpg

Is there any harm just leaving it as-is ( Foam ) to just absorb the sound from the rear? I mean, these hit 'some' lows, but eventually they cut-off ( digital crossover settings ) since I have the subwoofer handle the rest. I'm not trying to get bass out of these, Else I would have made a set of door pods. I'm just trying to fix the backwaves and help focus that sound.

Edit:  This is what the results would be. The holes arent 100% open so its good these are foam, to warp/fit.
mSGSPqUl.jpg
HIB3G8vl.jpg

Used hotglue so the layers wouldnt seperate. The adhesive on the foam, holds them to the dash. Then I took some 1/2" Dynamat I had, and cut a thin strip and put it around the speaker, thus finally removing that gap. May put the grills back on after I mod them. Will see :)  So far, when I crank the volume way up, I no longer hear noise from my left speaker. It use to sound 'broken'  but i think it was distortion from the back, as well as no vibration dampening. With all that fixed, everything sounds crystal.  Good stuff!

Archived