Need some help finding a good crimper.

From what most have said, the following type is great for folks not doing hundreds of crimps...

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping/dp/B06XR8BY65/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1528159012&sr=8-6&keywords=hydraulic+crimper

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

2 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

From what most have said, the following type is great for folks not doing hundreds of crimps...

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping/dp/B06XR8BY65/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1528159012&sr=8-6&keywords=hydraulic+crimper

I own the 15 ton one and I think its worth the extra 10 bucks, so 50 total. Regardless either use one of these or a blowtorch and solder

Last I knew the harbor freight hydraulic crimpers had piss poor dies, their 1/0 die wouldnt even crimp 4awg wire. They where severally undersized or labeled wrong..
Read the 1 and 2 star reviews on the harborfreight page. https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
"Looks like it would be a great tool...Just not for my needs. I install car audio as a hobby, so I bought this so I don't have to solder anymore. Well the crimping dies are just too small. I run true 0 gauge and the terminals did not fit in between the two dies."
"I purchased this item to crimp several #8 stranded wire jumpers. The dies are labeled in AWG ( American Wire Gauge). They are not even close to being correct. "

That being said, you shouldn't be using hydraulic crimpers for ring terminals that have the split in them, hydraulic crimpers are meant to be used on solid lugs only.

Why it matters is due to ring terminals with the split in them not being able to hold the pressure of the crimp which results in a loose crimp and often times that split opening up farther once crimped which will allow the wire to pull out easily.

For ring terminals with the split in them (that are not solid like an actual lug) you should be using a crimper like this, or the Sky High style crimper that indents the terminal.
http://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-crimper/ 
HNKE50-2.jpg?1414392562

The dies are actually what looks to be a quality control tolerance issue. Only one of my dies isn't to spec, and it's not off by much. The big issue in Amazon reviews is fucktards putting them in mismatched. 

Not like it's a hard thing to make your own die either tbh. But yeah, ring terminals aren't great in the massive hydro crimps, just lugs, as Audio stated

28 minutes ago, s5300 said:

The dies are actually what looks to be a quality control tolerance issue. Only one of my dies isn't to spec, and it's not off by much. The big issue in Amazon reviews is fucktards putting them in mismatched. 

Not like it's a hard thing to make your own die either tbh. But yeah, ring terminals aren't great in the massive hydro crimps, just lugs, as Audio stated

Amazon reviews? Its on harbor freights own website, not amazon. Also if you search this own forum other members here that have bought the harbor freight crimper have said the same thing.

You shouldnt have to buy a new tool claiming that it can do something only for it not being able too, and having to make your own parts to make it work properly.

Not only that not everyone is going to have a metal fab to make said dies, let alone a person that is looking for a cheap crimper is most likely going to have access to those type of tools.
The harbor freight crimper is shit period unless your going to be crimping 4 awg wire with their 1/0 die, because that is about all that its good for.

Oversized 1/0 gauge car audio wire is technically 2/0 on the AWG standard, which is 70 mm2
So here is Harbor Frights largest die in black for said wire compared to the correct size die in chrome.
MIC-70ES.jpg\

So once again dont buy a Harbor Freight crimper if your using it on 1/0 wire.

My bad, by harbor freight crimper, I just thought you meant the chinese yellow shit in general. For good-enough die making though, all you need is a file, drill press, and hack saw.

But yeah, that die is obviously fucked. 

I would not recommend crimping those open ended lugs. They're designed for solder

If you want to crimp, get proper closed ended ones

9 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

I would not recommend crimping those open ended lugs. They're designed for solder

If you want to crimp, get proper closed ended ones

Said that already in my first post, but it never hurts pounding it into peoples heads so they listen for once! :D 

3 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Said that already in my first post, but it never hurts pounding it into peoples heads so they listen for once! :D 

Pretty much. Just because the right answer is there doesn't mean it doesn't need to be repeated. One right 5 wrongs can still convince someone of the wrong thing, particularly if they're unfamiliar in the subject

Hell it could be 20 wrongs and people will still go with the wrong. 

Seems to happen a lot with cheap alts claiming high output, then they buy it thinking they one upped you only for a week later to have them come back complaining about their alternator being no different than stock LOL

Archived