Infiniti i30t work in progress

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the two new Soundqubed amps put in as well as the 1/0 welding wire.  Still waiting on the second sub and dual enclosure.  This new gear pounds out the jams!  WAY more potent than what was in there before...

well_1.jpg

Still need to clean everything up and pop in the new 7" mids in the door...yes, 7"...never seen 7" speakers before but they should squeak right on in and jam real soon.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

That ground location look familiar  LOL. Looking good, even better after you clean it up. Suggestion: switch your ground lugs around so the wires don't have to cross. Just my 2 cents though.

Lets see a pic of those 7" drivers!

These are the 7"ers...

https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/l2-700-7-full-range/

I liked them because they are 2 ohm and could potential work more power out of the 2 ohm stable SQ amp...but I am finding that using them with the current crossovers may become tricky because of how passive crossovers interact with different resistance drivers .  I might have to return them.  If I do return them, I may exchange them for some pricier 6.5" JL Audio components they have at that shop.  We will see...

I have added a capacitor to the 7" which should raise the resistance a tad and maybe get them at a functional bandwidth.  I am going to put them in tomorrow morning and hope for the best! Alternatively, I could just run the mids and the tweets in parallel and add bass caps to the tweets too...but that combo would net about 1.5 ohms per channel and I do not know how well the amp would handle that.  It is two ohm stable but 1.5 ohms may put it over the edge..  I dunno.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

The box and extra 12" sub showed up at the door...I wired it up to 1 ohm...screwed in the speakers...put that stuff in the car (which barely fit...)...raised the monoblock amp's gain to about 60%...then turned it all on.  OMFG!!!  Fatty BOOM BOOM!!!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

On 5/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, Crazy 8s Drums said:

These are the 7"ers...

https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/l2-700-7-full-range/

I liked them because they are 2 ohm and could potential work more power out of the 2 ohm stable SQ amp...but I am finding that using them with the current crossovers may become tricky because of how passive crossovers interact with different resistance drivers .  I might have to return them.  If I do return them, I may exchange them for some pricier 6.5" JL Audio components they have at that shop.  We will see...

I have added a capacitor to the 7" which should raise the resistance a tad and maybe get them at a functional bandwidth.  I am going to put them in tomorrow morning and hope for the best! Alternatively, I could just run the mids and the tweets in parallel and add bass caps to the tweets too...but that combo would net about 1.5 ohms per channel and I do not know how well the amp would handle that.  It is two ohm stable but 1.5 ohms may put it over the edge..  I dunno.

You’ll find that 2ohm drivers dont get much louder than 4ohm drivers (overall) even tho they flow twice the power. At first glance it seems to make sense but with high frequencies (mids and highs), sensitivity of a 4ohm speaker gets you clarity and loudness with less power over the frequency response range. Look at an impednace curve for your speakers. Theyre only at 2 or 4 ohm for a narrow band of frequencies. Plus amplifier damping factor drops quick with impedance drops.  You lose crispness at all frequencies in exchange for a lil more loud at a narrow band. For mids/highs, youre better off increasing cone area than dropping impedance if you want loud and clear sound.

In reponse to your passive idea, no one makes 2 ohm tweeters so if the xovers came with the mids then they will likely work fine for typical 4ohm tweets. 

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

For the 7" mids, they are currently running off of the passive crossovers that came with the 5.25 components that I had been using before.  The 5.25s are 4 ohm speakers.  I had an alternative harness with a capacitor soldered on to block out lower freq, and I tried them out too...  There seemed to be little difference with the cap vs without.  They seem to be doing just fine as they are so I am just going to leave them as they are for now.

I still need to adjust the gains on the 4 ch amp so that it works best with the monoblock...with it now at one ohm and driving two subs it is way tougher than I thought it would be and now have to balance it all as a system.  I don't know how some of you guys can handle having 5k or 10k or more of watts in your cars!  lol!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

There is something a bit peculiar with the crossovers I am using though.  There is a switch inside them that selects between 2 and 4 ohms.  Not sure what that is about...  They are all on the 2 ohm choice right now.  Having unplugged the subs for a while to tune the other speakers, the whole system sounds outstanding without subs....but it obviously misses the big boom.

This whole system now sounds fuckin awesome though and I am so happy!  I literally have been getting high off of endorphins released from all the bass pounding.  I think it is those endorphins that cause the basshead addiction!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

My phone sucks and I am thinking about buying a better one soon.  I really hate cell phones but they do have their uses.

Anywhoo...I took a couple pics of the new box in the car.  Crappy resolution from the cheap phone...sorry.  ?

box1.jpg
box2.jpg

This box sounds much better than the previous single 12 box did.  Not just louder, but more accurate.  The previous box was made of 1/2" MDF and I could hear the box making weird sounds when at high volume.  This new box is 3/4" and much heavier.  Bass is tighter and more precise and not so one-dimensional in volume as the cheaper single box was.

Still need to work some other details out as some stuff on the rear deck is sitting too low and blocking the box from being far enough forward where I want it.  I am also thinking about doing the headliner and the entire trunk and sub box with new material.  Will be some obnoxious fabric that most may not like but I sure do. 

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived