Second Skin Audio

would this subwoofer mounting create issues?

godlyforce

so i been searching and cant seem to be able to word it right i guess... cause i would assume this question has come up before but i cant find it.

but i have 2 DC Audio M3 8 D2's in a box but the box they are in is pretty oversized and i dont want to build a new box (box is roughly 2.9cu.ft @35-36hz by my measurements). the box baffle is all taken up by the port and both subs equally spaced, my question is can i mount my 3rd unused m3 8 on the top of the box and wire it in?(amp is a skar sk2500 so power and ohm load is no issue)

i just dont know if this would create a butt load of cancellation having a 3rd subwoofer mounted on a different baffle. i just want to get the box more in spec and 3 m3 8's in 2.9 isnt that bad out of spec and should be MUCH better if cancellation is no issue. i just dont want it to get worse due to cancellation.

oh and its in a trunk of a coupe rear firing.

6 minutes ago, Joe X said:

You should have some 45 square inches of port area, if so, just redo the baffle so that all drivers are in the same face, you shouldn't have any trouble done like that.

problem with redo'ing the baffle means i need to go buy a whole new sheet of mdf and if i did that i might as well build a new box and i dont wanna do that.  if i could just salvage this the way it is that would be preferred would mounting a 3rd sub on the top be beneficial?

Mounting subs in different faces is usually avoided but then you can always try and either win or lose the bet,  what's probably more important is that you meet the 45 square inches of port area, if not close to that your port is likely going to choke and that for sure is not going to help you.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:01 PM, Joe X said:

Mounting subs in different faces is usually avoided but then you can always try and either win or lose the bet,  what's probably more important is that you meet the 45 square inches of port area, if not close to that your port is likely going to choke and that for sure is not going to help you.

thanks for the help i done decided it wasnt worth it to cut a hole and mess with the old box. im just going to build a new box but im not very optimistic about my design measurements. can you give a quick look at this design and see if it is within the specs im shooting for?

I THINK this box is around 3.8 gross and 2.6net and trying for around 35hz tune. port is as you suggested and is 45 sq.in. All with 3/4 mdf.

would love some input as i have never designed a box before i have built a few but never designed.

Box.PNG

box2.PNG

Built it and it sounds great. you can see some burning from the router bit as i didnt have a good bit and trying to cut more than about 1/8" at a time would burn the wood so funny enough cutting 6 holes took nearly 2 hours. also funny enough i had to sand a little after it was completly built on the outer baffle cutout as it was too perfectly tight and i knew it would be nearly impossible to get the speaker back out even now its still very snug and am sure i will need to cut the box open to remove the speakers...

IMG_20180423_214718.jpg

IMG_20180423_214743.jpg

IMG_20180423_214749.jpg

Looks very nicely built bet you build pretty often, never mind your subs being so tightly fit, there will be many ways to get them out without touching your box, worst case you drill a hole on the back of the box on the left side (beyond the end of the port wall) and use something to push that sub out, once that one is out it's easy to get the others out.

Archived