Sundown Audio

Strapped Amps Wiring Correction?

MyNameIsNoob

It Looks good as far as I can tell. It is normal for the positive of the slave amp to be used as the negative. If the amps are mono then it doesnt matter how many terminals are used  as they will be connected internally. Check the DC resistance of your subs (They are wired in a series/parallel configuration  so it should be 2 ohms, wont be exact but should be close, double check just to be sure).

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

9 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Why strap? Refuse to gain match? If so... why..

From my understanding... 

I can get the same amt of power, except i can get it at 2 ohms which running 6000 watts, we are tryna keep it as cool as possible. 

I can control both amps gain and xover points off 1 amp which means i dont hafta worry about getting them exactly the same. - noobie

I dont know how reliable it is to accurately get them that close if i could - OCD pranoia

Other than that, no particular reason... thats my plan B tho

12 hours ago, rambronco said:

It Looks good as far as I can tell. It is normal for the positive of the slave amp to be used as the negative. If the amps are mono then it doesnt matter how many terminals are used  as they will be connected internally. Check the DC resistance of your subs (They are wired in a series/parallel configuration  so it should be 2 ohms, wont be exact but should be close, double check just to be sure).

RB

Thx RB, The VC are wired series on each sub, and the subs are wired in parallel to each other. Off of only 1 positive and 1 negative terminals in the box.

So you say i can take both positves and both negatives from the amp and hook them together into the same terminals on the box?

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

I can get the same amt of power, except i can get it at 2 ohms which running 6000 watts, we are tryna keep it as cool as possible. 

strapped at 2 ohms is exactly the same as gain matched at 1 ohm each. each amp is still at 1 ohm when strapped.

3 hours ago, reedal said:

strapped at 2 ohms is exactly the same as gain matched at 1 ohm each. each amp is still at 1 ohm when strapped.

Oh i didnt know that. Guess i figured it had more of a benefit than tuning... So how can i accurately set the subsonic and hpf on amps to exactly the same as each other if i choose to gain match instead? 

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Oh i didnt know that. Guess i figured it had more of a benefit than tuning... So how can i accurately set the subsonic and hpf on amps to exactly the same as each other if i choose to gain match instead? 

With a multimeter, same way you would with a single amp. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

13 hours ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Thx RB, The VC are wired series on each sub, and the subs are wired in parallel to each other. Off of only 1 positive and 1 negative terminals in the box.

So you say i can take both positves and both negatives from the amp and hook them together into the same terminals on the box?

No, a lot of amps have multiple terminals even though they are mono. You can have multiples coming from the amp but they are all connected internally. So amp yes all together, box just depends how you wired it, sorry for the confusion.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Yet again, a user thinking that a couple of strapped  boards,..  does something magical. It does not...   

As far as setting the low and high passes, use your HU. 99.99% made now a days are capable.  Especially on the sub out 

The amps I have they are 2400 a piece but when I strap them it says it will only be 4500.. not sure how yours work though as soon as I’m able to start a build  I’ll strap till I get a cc-1 then I’ll match with that.. 

Archived