Sundown Audio

Strapped Amps Wiring Correction?

MyNameIsNoob

12 hours ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Oh i didnt know that. Guess i figured it had more of a benefit than tuning... So how can i accurately set the subsonic and hpf on amps to exactly the same as each other if i choose to gain match instead? 

CC-1 will gain match, and set your filters where you want it to.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually when you strap 2 amps you typically lose a little bit of power (ie: you will get more power from 2 amps gained matched vs strapped).

Also worth mentioning that when you strap the amps are more prone to going into protect for random reasons even though everything is fine.

Another thing you will want to be aware of is that you will want your master amp to be the amp that puts out less power because the slave amp will only duplicate what the master amp does.

So if your master amp will do more power cleanly then your slave amp, then your slave amp will be sent into clipping possibly even a hard clip which may/can put your amps into protect. So when you use your weaker wattage amp as the master there is never no chance of you sending your slave amp into protect unless you clip both amps of coarse. Granted you will need to have some way to determine which amp will put out more clean power such as a DD-1 or oscilloscope. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:46 AM, Kyblack76 said:

Yet again, a user thinking that a couple of strapped  boards,..  does something magical. It does not...   

As far as setting the low and high passes, use your HU. 99.99% made now a days are capable.  Especially on the sub out 

Thanks Kyblack! Must be a common misconception eh? Well, as my name suggests, i am here to learn so... You addressed another question i was unsure of - If its a good idea to use the x-over on head unit and run amps unfiltered?

On 4/28/2018 at 12:32 AM, rambronco said:

No, a lot of amps have multiple terminals even though they are mono. You can have multiples coming from the amp but they are all connected internally. So amp yes all together, box just depends how you wired it, sorry for the confusion.

Gotcha, thank you!

On 4/28/2018 at 2:03 AM, CstrokerV said:

The amps I have they are 2400 a piece but when I strap them it says it will only be 4500.. not sure how yours work though as soon as I’m able to start a build  I’ll strap till I get a cc-1 then I’ll match with that.. 

That sounds like what may be the best plan. This project is my buddies, so we will see if he will wna invest in the tool. If i can reliably and safely get away w setting the xovers thru head unit, i may jus go on n unstrap them like everyone is suggesting

On 4/28/2018 at 4:30 AM, reedal said:

CC-1 will gain match, and set your filters where you want it to.

Thank you Reedal! I have a DD1, but I may try to invest in one of those as well whenever i have the extra to spend

On 4/28/2018 at 7:06 AM, audiofanaticz said:

Usually when you strap 2 amps you typically lose a little bit of power (ie: you will get more power from 2 amps gained matched vs strapped).

Also worth mentioning that when you strap the amps are more prone to going into protect for random reasons even though everything is fine.

Another thing you will want to be aware of is that you will want your master amp to be the amp that puts out less power because the slave amp will only duplicate what the master amp does.

So if your master amp will do more power cleanly then your slave amp, then your slave amp will be sent into clipping possibly even a hard clip which may/can put your amps into protect. So when you use your weaker wattage amp as the master there is never no chance of you sending your slave amp into protect unless you clip both amps of coarse. Granted you will need to have some way to determine which amp will put out more clean power such as a DD-1 or oscilloscope. 

Awesome info! Thank you so much, this is the kind of feedback i like to read... Im starting to see a trend. That there are less benefits to strap them than i misunderstood. How sensitive to variations will 2 gain matched amps be to 2 subs in the same enclosure? Bc i doubt he will be interested in building a new box right now.

Archived