Second Skin Audio

Help with box design

Sweety

I'm planing on building a new box & was hoping someone could check over my plans to see if I have calculated it correctly. It's going to be a wedge shape so it fits up against the back seat so I get as much room in the trunk as possible the aim is for 1.9ft^3 & tuned to 35Hz
Width 35"
Height 15"
Top panel 8" depth
Base Panel 11.5" depth
Port internal size (made from 3/4" MDF) 4" x 4" & 15" long
Sub being used is an old JBL GT3 12" getting powered from a 220wRMS JBL amp

I know this is probably simple maths to most of you but I suffered from meningitis 22 years ago & it wiped out some of my memory & am still relearning things

Your calculations check out (almost) assuming your square port has no common walls with the box,  also I assume your port is firing sideways, if your port has common walls with the box then your tuning would be down to about 33Hz.

Thanks Joe X, yes the port wouldn't be part of any of the walls but would need a 90' bend in it as it would have to be rear facing with the sub due to truck space, my other option which will be a more costly one as pvc pipe isn't cheap here in the UK would be to use a 4" pipe which I think for a 35Hz tuning point would need to be 12.5-13" long with a 90' bend in it but if I got this way i'm not sure what the volume of the enclosure would be but guessing it would be close to 2ft^3

In the case of a 4" round port it would be close to 11" and yes net volume would be 2 cubic feet net, anyways here's a simple way to do a slot port firing back with only two pieces of wood, this would be 1.94 net @ 35 Hz with a 4x4 port:

image.jpg

Think i'm going to have to change my plans as a square port isn't going to do it for me when it comes to looks & 4" pvc pipe here in the UK isn't that cheap & all I can find is thick wall pipe? ideally I would like a wedge shaped enclosure 14" high, around 35" wide (can't go wider) & with a difference of 3" between the top panel & base so it would fit nicely against the back seat with a 2" wide port but i'm struggling badly to work it out. I have tried to work out a rectangular enclosure but think i've got the maths wrong 34" wide, 14" high, 11.25" with a 2" port 24.8" long would give a 35Hz tuning & a net volume of 1.9ft^3 ? net volume can be dropped to 1.8ft^3 if needed

Sorry for being such a pain with all of the questions & asking for so much help 

I've just downloaded the torres calculator & wondered if I put the right info in & also wondered about the wedge shaped enclosure details mainly for the port length as the port would go along one side & along the back of the box & is thereenough port area ?

enclosure2.jpg

Archived