Sundown Audio

Strapped AudioPipe APCL 18001D's ok to run at 1 ohm?

i3laine

I've got a single AudioPipe APCL 18001D that I had pushing 2 Sundown SA-12's. Over the weekend I traded my 2 SA-12's for a single ZV4 12. The single amp isn't enough to push the new sub. I was thinking about buying another amp and strapping it to push the the new sub. The problem I'm facing is that the Audiopipe amps list a strapped minimum impedance of 2 ohms and the ZV4 12 is wired to 1 ohm. My question is this: If I strap the 2 amps @ 1 ohm, could I turn them down to around 2500 watts rms so that the amps are not being pushed too hard?

I wouldn't go past what they are rated for from a company like that. Sundown/DC/Crescendo, sure they would probably be a different story. I would strap them at 2 ohms and get yourself just past that 2k range. 

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, i3laine said:

I've got a single AudioPipe APCL 18001D that I had pushing 2 Sundown SA-12's. Over the weekend I traded my 2 SA-12's for a single ZV4 12. The single amp isn't enough to push the new sub. I was thinking about buying another amp and strapping it to push the the new sub. The problem I'm facing is that the Audiopipe amps list a strapped minimum impedance of 2 ohms and the ZV4 12 is wired to 1 ohm. My question is this: If I strap the 2 amps @ 1 ohm, could I turn them down to around 2500 watts rms so that the amps are not being pushed too hard?

I would not do it OP.

You could turn the gain down on the amplifiers leaving headroom in the future, provided of course the gains are all set appropriately, but I just wouldn't run those boards at 0.5 ohms each in a daily set up.  You can, and they made handle it, but they may also go up in smoke in a week or a day or two months, even if you have good electrical and can keep voltage up.  Good luck whatever you choose.  

I'm asking because i don't remember but isn't the AP 3000 like actually 2 boards already strapped together internally which kind of doesn't allow you to run at lower ohms or something?  I don't know if the 1800 is the same way or not.  

Many of us have been in your dilemma.  The easy answer is get a different amp, but it feels financially inefficient when you already have a amp.  Ohm load can be a fickle beast IMO. If you ever upgraded you amp, then eventually you will upgrade you subs and be back in this predicament.  

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

That trade was a bad decision all the way around, the only upside is the bragging rights to say you have a ZV4 12".

You lost 1/2 of your cone area in one move, and compounded it with a sub requiring more power.

Your best move would have been to get a 3k amp to power those SA12's, and if and when the time came for an upgrade, it would put you in a much better position for the upgrade without requiring another amp you do not have.

Not trying to come off as a dick, but some times we all need those life lessons.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

On 5/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, bmwking said:

if youre going to get a matching amp, just wire each amp to each coil of your sub, gain match with a dmm.  that will be less stress on your electrical and the amps. 

This is possible? I didn't know that. Interesting

Archived