Second Skin Audio

Sub enclosure help

vroom

Ok so in middle of trying to design my box before i pull the trigger on a pair of Fi Neo 12" Q's (want to make sure they will suit) i have max meaurements of 53x14x14 whick gives me 4.66 cubes gross volume by my calculations. What port dimensions would be recommended so as not to lose too much volume but still work well? Want to tune to around 32hz and sound good for music not just spl. I have an m4 dd amp to run the subs. 

You dont have enough room for that much power. I would not go smaller than 12.5"x 6" with port on that much power and that will bring you volume way down.

Also could i switch to maybe 2 4" or 6" aeroport to maximise on space?? Im not too clued up on how to calculate correct volumes. I only have the torres box app, so does not show any performance graphs to see what will and wont work

you are able to accommodate more power with a smaller enclosure, but you still need to have enough port area to keep port velocity low enough to prevent port noise.

we'll assume 4 cubes net accounting for some displacements, power to sub = rated (1500w), and your tuning of 32hz:

minimum slot port area = 66in^2

minimum aero port area =60in^2

optimal port area = 90in^2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VREceNxz9YOcFlI8O_TG62-4O-l3Q2IjD5qsEkVVh28/edit#gid=0

You didn't list what amp you're going to power the subs with, so that's going off of 1500 per. even with two 6 inch aero's, you don't have enough port area to keep velocity under 30m/s, assuming your enclosure was 4 cubes...

you don't really have enough room for two 12's. I would say a single 12 with the correct amount of airspace would likely perform much better, rather than trying to cram two into space for one, even if compensating for less space with more power.

Problem is i dont think im gonna get the kind of volume levels im after from one 12, ive got a M4 amp to run bass on. Scott at Fi mentioned i can slightly overcome port being on the smaller side by radiusing the hell out of everything so air is free flowing, is this an option?

Archived