I made cardboard templates for what fit tight to box and trunk, then traced onto mdf, cut them slightly larger, then trimmed to fit. They were so tight they would actually stay in place on their own, so I attached with angles to the box and used some heavy foam weather stripping to create a seal around the edges of the trim panel. Wasn't anything permanent, but served it's purpose for the short period of time I had my car like that. If I were you, I'd probably foam in with black multipurpose great stuff so you don't have to paint it. Then you can carve any excess off once dry and be done with it.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hellbilly429 said:

I made cardboard templates for what fit tight to box and trunk, then traced onto mdf, cut them slightly larger, then trimmed to fit. They were so tight they would actually stay in place on their own, so I attached with angles to the box and used some heavy foam weather stripping to create a seal around the edges of the trim panel. Wasn't anything permanent, but served it's purpose for the short period of time I had my car like that. If I were you, I'd probably foam in with black multipurpose great stuff so you don't have to paint it. Then you can carve any excess off once dry and be done with it.

I think I'm going to make that one of my projects when I go to take everything out and carpet. Thanks for the info

Made the swap to blue led interior, but I am not sure if I like the "black light" effect it kind of gives off. Might switch to white leds

To take off the civic light covers use a small flat head screwdriver to leverage them out. You will see little divots in the plastic and that is where to leverage carefully and they will pop out. The front most ones you leverage the side that is the back (nearest to trunk) and the same for the rear dome light. The trunk one you have to leverage the left side (driver side).

Comparison 

tumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o4_400.jpg

Results from the interior

tumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o3_400.jpgtumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o2_540.jpg

Results from the exterior (night time)

tumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o6_r1_400.jpgtumblr_pb3uf5r6Ty1xsodn1o7_r1_400.jpg

They are super super bright compared to the factory ones. I think I am going to start leaving either only the front two or the rear one on when I open the doors/unlock the car.

Looks awesome! You can always throw in some white led strip lights on the floor or in the doors, then throw them on a different switch, or on the same switch as the doors. Then when you need real light to find something, you can just flip them bad boys on.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Just had one of those moments. I've heard about it happening but I never imagined I would be able to do something like it but god damn... I have reached one of my goals and man did the hard work pay off for that feeling of accomplishment and also worry. Sorry for the shit quality it happened to me spur of the moment and my dash cam was the only thing recording. It's survived all the bass but its still a cheapo cam and at night. Time stamps also wrong in the video, this happened around 10 pm. 

Something that has been bugging me was my botched license plate anti-rattle fix. Just some stiff foam with gorilla tape holding it to the back of my license plate...
Ugly but worked. Today I decided to fix that and also work on my trunks exterior panel behind the license plate because it too rattles. In doing so, I found a rattle coming from this cylinder over one of the springs on my trunks locking mechanism. Not sure what was the point of this cylinder but I removed the spring and took this off, and re-installed the spring after words... no rattle... why Honda. WHY?

Here you can see the black cylinder over the spring:

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o1_400.jpg

Without the cylinder, and rattle :)

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o2_400.jpg

Using the scraps from my doors that were decently sized, I was able to cover a good amount of these panels, focusing on the part attached to the trunk lid more so than the exterior panel. 

License Plate fully covered surrounded by some self sticking foam about 1/8" -2/8" thick:

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o6_540.jpg

Exterior Trunk Panel with spotty coverage and some damp rope (weather stripping) surrounding the outskirts where some factory foam use to be but turned to dust... (picture doesn't show all the damp rope I added)

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o3_540.jpg

Deadening the Trunk lid piece:

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o5_540.jpg

Exterior Panel over Trunk Lid:

tumblr_pbfgpwBfUy1xsodn1o4_540.jpg

And lastly goes my license plate, but you get the jist of that one

I might take a video comparing just how dead it sounds but I am surprised with the results. It sounds like I am beating on a solid rock instead of a tin can like the other spots on my trunk without deadener. 

• 1 month later...

Did some quality of work stuff today while I was changing the tranny fluid and spark plugs.

Fixed a worn out body piece with a zip tie and a drill.

tumblr_pd29iuo4vQ1xsodn1o1_540.jpgtumblr_pd29iuo4vQ1xsodn1o3_540.jpg

Then scratched off the paint I missed when originally installing the alternator. No more alt whine ; -1 for being a dummy. Also made sure to sand the engine side of the contacts for my ground lug and opposite side. 

tumblr_pd29iuo4vQ1xsodn1o4_540.jpgtumblr_pd29iuo4vQ1xsodn1o2_540.jpg

On 6/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, Hellbilly429 said:

i had no idea great stuff made the black foam. Thanks a ton man! 

I didn't see where you mentioned getting to the ELD bypass. However, in the 8th civic you can simply unplug it. No battery light. 

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

1 hour ago, walwalka said:

I didn't see where you mentioned getting to the ELD bypass. However, in the 8th civic you can simply unplug it. No battery light. 

I never did the ELD bypass because if I either turn on my headlights or run my blower fans/ac then the alternator goes into high output mode, tripping the ELD. Also if your above 50/55 MPH the ELD gets tripped anyways. This is my daily commuter so it works out regardless.
My voltage rests at 14.2, full tilt never dips below 13.5/13.6

Archived