Second Skin Audio

Sub Suggestions for pair of 12" or single 15"?

I know the title is pretty generic and overdone but if I can help you guys hone in on what I have to offer toward a system, do you think you could advise me on a good set of subs to go with what I have?

Details:

Budget: $300 per 12" sub or $600 for one 15"

Car - Volvo S60

Amp - Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D (it's what I already have and probably the max I can use without upgrading alternators/batteries. Don't ask me to upgrade yet please)

Battery - Duralast Gold primary, XS Power D1200 secondary with all zero gauge wiring and Stinger Isolator (all trunk mounted in the spare tire well)

Enclosure - Whatever sub/subs are recommended, I'll be getting with Mark at CAF to design me another box. He did amazingly well on my last box for 4 VFL 8" subs.

I just want to try something different and be louder than my 4 VFL 8" subs at 32 hz with the power I already have availalble. I'd like the subs to play loud and low (28~34 hz) on music. I'm an American Bass fan but definitely open to other brands. Thanks in advance for any direction you guys point me in.

EDIT: Here's my last build. I still have the same box and subs but now powered by the Soundstream Tarantula amp. I'm not unsatisfied with it...I just want to try something different again.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Not trying to rep a specific brand but the DC XL 15 would take the power your looking at providing and its $500 stock, adding better soft parts costs more. 

Price: http://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-level-xl-15/

Specs: http://www.dcsoundlab.com/xl

I was planning on using this single 15 sub if my two 12s ever decided to kick the bucket on me.

Get 2 American Bass HD12s. Seems like the obvious choice. 2 subs have more cone area than 1, so they should be louder. And also, all the heat created by that amp goes into 2 coils instead of one, which should allow longer playtime before they get hot and stinky.

Btw, why do you have a battery isolator?

Save for another month get 2 Sundown U 12’s , impossible to be disappointed.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

1 hour ago, alex912005 said:

Get 2 American Bass HD12s. Seems like the obvious choice. 2 subs have more cone area than 1, so they should be louder. And also, all the heat created by that amp goes into 2 coils instead of one, which should allow longer playtime before they get hot and stinky.

Btw, why do you have a battery isolator?

I like this idea, as it plays to my appreciation for American Bass so far. I had considered the HD's but wasn't sure if one VFL 12 or 15 would be better.

The American Bass 8" subs I'm running, never get hot and stinky and I can play them for pretty long periods of time. ~30 minutes or so is the longest trip I've let them beat.

The battery isolator allows the secondary battery to be charged by the alternator once the car is running but not damage my starter motor. Plus my engine starting battery won't get ran down when the car is off but playing music. (although I've not ran my subs with the car off, aside from basic low listening volumes)

21 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Not trying to rep a specific brand but the DC XL 15 would take the power your looking at providing and its $500 stock, adding better soft parts costs more. 

Price: http://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-level-xl-15/

Specs: http://www.dcsoundlab.com/xl

I was planning on using this single 15 sub if my two 12s ever decided to kick the bucket on me.

I looked into this sub. I like the looks and the power handling. Definitely will be in my list to consider!

4 minutes ago, bmwking said:

HDs is a solid choice for sure.

did you ever get the 4 8s metered?

I did not get them metered. The guy with the term lab in Lawrenceburg Ky, flaked on me multiple times. I kept scheduling with him but something kept coming up that he didn't have time. It was a craiglist ad so...SMH.

Archived