Second Skin Audio

Router Recommendations / Opinions on Bosch Router

I'm in the works on a new build for my daily driver and I have come to the part of building the box.

My material I will be using is likely going to be MDF but regardless 3/4 " thick

The box plans require the ability to make 45 degree cuts and round overs for the port so I was thinking of ordering a router.

I don't want to have to buy another one just to get a feature like variable speed so I am looking for one with variable speed, height adjustment and the ability to be mounted upside down, accepting 1/2-Inch and 1/4-Inch Shank is a plus.

The one I am looking at is : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVP334K/ref=psdc_552866_t2_B0000DCBK0?th=1

Has anyone had experience with Bosche routers? any other brands a better deal? 

Cheers

A plunge router is better because it is way more versatile.  If you haven't used a router much or at all, you'd be wise to study up on the safe usage of them.  They can be dangerous AF if used improperly or carelessly.  Safety first!

Bosch is decent stuff for the price.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

I've been through several routers and at this point Bosch is my favorite.  The one you linked though isn't a good deal, you are paying a ton for those bits that come with it.  Here is what I'd suggest, you get both a fixed and a plunge base, which is very handy to have: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Combination-Horsepower-Variable-1617EVSPK/dp/B00005RHPD/

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I've been through several routers and at this point Bosch is my favorite.  The one you linked though isn't a good deal, you are paying a ton for those bits that come with it.  Here is what I'd suggest, you get both a fixed and a plunge base, which is very handy to have: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Combination-Horsepower-Variable-1617EVSPK/dp/B00005RHPD/

I got the the same router plus a bunch others. Great beastly router that comes with both bases.

I have a Hitachi that came with plunge and fixed. I've had it for almost two years now, adjustable speed, and no complaints. The only issue that comes into play is certain circle jigs don't fit, but i bought the cheaper one from parts-express.com that does fit my router. if i had to redo it, i'd go bosch, but budget-wise, the Hitachi serves me well.

Thanks for your input guys. I think im going to go with the one Triticum Agricolam recommended with the plunger base and get some 1/2 bits for it 

So, I got router linked a little while back. It's a great router that should do everything you need.

BUT

I actually wish I would've went with one of the newer porter cables instead, as it has a really fucking convenient hex key riser for use in simple router tables. If you have the money to buy a nice lift, or even the ability to make a cheap one and don't mind... get the bosch. If you want a router with a base that has a convenient lift built in... Porter Cable. Obviously, the Bosch has a plunge ability you could use as a router table lift... but that's not very easy reaching your hands and shit under the table. The porter cable has both the plunge and the hex key rise. 

40 minutes ago, s5300 said:

So, I got router linked a little while back. It's a great router that should do everything you need.

BUT

I actually wish I would've went with one of the newer porter cables instead, as it has a really fucking convenient hex key riser for use in simple router tables. If you have the money to buy a nice lift, or even the ability to make a cheap one and don't mind... get the bosch. If you want a router with a base that has a convenient lift built in... Porter Cable. Obviously, the Bosch has a plunge ability you could use as a router table lift... but that's not very easy reaching your hands and shit under the table. The porter cable has both the plunge and the hex key rise. 

are you referring to this https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-75301-Height-Adjuster/dp/B0002ZFN50/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1525677398&sr=1-1&keywords=porter+cable+height+adjuster

bundled in with something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-2-1-4-HP-Multi-Base-Router-Kit-with-Router-Kit-Table-Height-Adjuster-895PK/203162813?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25T|25-9_PORTABLE+POWER|NA|PLA|71700000034127218|58700003933021540|92700031755124700&gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlKe11hrxLhFQwGe4uVJZiW36eVO5UuVpPtm8QpgCc3VAW4nryWA7LRoC2BcQAvD_BwE&dclid=CLWts5CH89oCFYTZwAodSPcEgA

Archived