Second Skin Audio

If sub is damaged will voltage drop more than normal?

akuma4u

Hey just wondering if you are running a sub and lets say one of the voicecoils is damaged or something else is messed up and you continue to play it..can or will this cause your voltage to drop more than normal? 

Thx

Are you knowingly running a damaged woofer? If a coil is messed up it could be dropping your impedence lower causing the amp to pull more current and lower voltage. That being said its probly an issue with your electrical somewhere. Also the hot weather lately will cause lower voltage.

20 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Are you knowingly running a damaged woofer? If a coil is messed up it could be dropping your impedence lower causing the amp to pull more current and lower voltage. That being said its probly an issue with your electrical somewhere. Also the hot weather lately will cause lower voltage.

No idea if woofer is damaged or not..the only thing that has changed is voktage is dropping mad low. Like into the 12s now for some reason..but yes its been hot the past week as well amd amp is super hot not from overuse but from outside temp..i will pull sub out and test vc and see whats up..

All you can do is eleminate things till u find the issue. Wat voltage were you seeing before this started? How old are your batts? If sub ohms out ok id check all my power and ground connections and voltage on my batts. Could be an alt issue as well. But if the drop in voltage is only around a half volt off it could very well be the heat.

32 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

All you can do is eleminate things till u find the issue. Wat voltage were you seeing before this started? How old are your batts? If sub ohms out ok id check all my power and ground connections and voltage on my batts. Could be an alt issue as well. But if the drop in voltage is only around a half volt off it could very well be the heat.

I think i found the problem. Opened trunk to find 6 out of 8 screws came out and sub was sticking half way out of the box basically running free air..not sure how this would cause voltage drop so severe but im sure this is the issue..also bass non existant which is not a surprise as well

Archived