Second Skin Audio

Melamine Foam Sale
20% Off All Hydrophobic Melamine Foam Products
Use Coupon Code: HMF20
Friday May 11th through Monday May 14th Only!!!
32187239_2172939526050362_74784839043288

Melamine Foam Insulation for Thermal Management and Noise Reduction

Melamine foam is an effective absorber suitable for applications involving noise control and thermal management. Second Skin Audio provides a range of melamine foam insulation for a variety of industries, mainly car audio, construction, rail transportation, heavy truck, aerospace, medical, and marine manufacturing. The foam is widely used because it is a versatile, flame resistant material that is lightweight, semi-rigid yet flexible, and easy to customize. All grades of melamine foam are utilized for thermal and acoustical insulation applications. While standard melamine insulation can absorb water, all of Second Skin’s melamine products are hydrophobic (resistant to moisture and shed water).

Sound Reducing Insulation

The open cells in melamine foam make it an excellent noise reducing insulation because sound waves can travel deeply into the foam. Once there, the sound waves are converted to low-grade heat in the open cell structure of the foam, stopping noise from reflecting, causing echoes and increasing noise levels. Our foam is a popular sound reducing material for manufacturers as it absorbs mid to high range frequencies while meeting aircraft (FAA, BSS, etc), HVAC, and transportation vehicle’s flame, smoke, and toxicity standards.

Thermal Insulation

Melamine foam prevents the convection and heat transfer of air, making it an excellent insulator. The foam has a thermal conductivity of 0.25 BTU-in/ft²-hr-°F at 68°F and is often used for heating, ventilation, and air condition duct lining. Due to the rigid cell structure of the foam, it does not settle or fall apart over time, unlike fiberglass, and remains an effective insulator for years.Extremely lightweight, the foam provides exceptional resistance to heat, low-flame, and smoke without adding excessive weight during application. Our foam meets all aircraft (FAA, BSS, etc.), HVAC and transportation (rail) flame, smoke, and toxicity standards. The foam is also available with a 1,000 degree thermal film facing (Mega Block) and pressure-sensitive adhesive backings.

Flame Resistant Materials for Safety

One of the key properties that sets melamine foam apart from other insulators is its flame resistance. Our foam can withstand temperatures between -300°F to 356°F and has an intermittent temperature range of up to +400°F. The fire-resistant characteristics are a result of the high nitrogen content in the melamine resin used to manufacture the foam. The resin creates an extremely flame-resistant insulation without the need of additional fire-retardant chemicals. Melamine foam does not drip or melt in the presence of open flame and exudes little smoke. Once the ignition and fuel source are removed, the foam will extinguish.

Check out Second Skin’s melamine products: Mega Zorbe (self adhesive), Mega Zorbe Standard (non adhesive), and Mega Block (self adhesive & heat shield).

#SoundDeadening #SecondSkinInsulation #SecondSkinAudio #MegaZorbe #MegaBlock #HydrophobicMelamineFoam #MelamineFoam #SecondSkinForTheWin
Edited by Second Skin
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

18 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

I really need to order a bunch of your products, my Cadillac CTS has horrible road noise its so annoying, but not as annoying as the Direct Injection engine that goes click click click...

Hit us up whenever you are ready, we will help you get what you want for your build at the best possible price. 

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Enjoy your weekend everyone and thanks for picking up some Second Skin Melamine Products for your next build. 

468x60.png

Huh. I've actually been wanting to ask this question for a while.

It's probably going to seem like it, but I'm not trying to sound like a dick - genuinely curious. I also love every SecondSkin product I've used... which is butyl rope and that sweet sweet B Stock Damplifier. 

Anyways - my question is - I think that the majority of the world that's somewhat well versed in materials knows that Melamine foam is absolutely cheap as fuck to produce, which was why Magic Erasers were a scam and you can buy like, 500 melamine sponges from china for $10 or so. 

That being said - how is SecondSkins melamine products engineered to justify their price? Obviously, I presume you can't go into an incredible amount of detail for reasons, but anything would be appreciated. Once again, not trying to sound like a dick, because as far as I and everybody else is concerned... everything else SecondSkin offers is fucking awesome. I just thought it was somewhat common knowledge Melamine was really cheap to produce, so I'm curious if there's anything different in your product. 

Thanks. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

On 5/12/2018 at 2:22 AM, s5300 said:

Huh. I've actually been wanting to ask this question for a while.

It's probably going to seem like it, but I'm not trying to sound like a dick - genuinely curious. I also love every SecondSkin product I've used... which is butyl rope and that sweet sweet B Stock Damplifier. 

Anyways - my question is - I think that the majority of the world that's somewhat well versed in materials knows that Melamine foam is absolutely cheap as fuck to produce, which was why Magic Erasers were a scam and you can buy like, 500 melamine sponges from china for $10 or so. 

That being said - how is SecondSkins melamine products engineered to justify their price? Obviously, I presume you can't go into an incredible amount of detail for reasons, but anything would be appreciated. Once again, not trying to sound like a dick, because as far as I and everybody else is concerned... everything else SecondSkin offers is fucking awesome. I just thought it was somewhat common knowledge Melamine was really cheap to produce, so I'm curious if there's anything different in your product. 

Thanks. 

Yes, you are correct. Mr Clean erasers are a similar type of melamine foam. That type of Melamine foam is super water absorbing (like it will absorb 1,000 times it's size in water). This is a HUGE no-no for use inside of vehicles as it will help promote rust, corrosion, and allow mold/mildew spores grow. Also, Melamine foam can not be produced in America, so this product we have is the only product we do not manufacture in one of our factories in the great USA (We talked about this 2 years ago when we announced our product line). We could be like other companies in the market and out source our Melamine Foam from China where there are no regulations (US Style Inspections) on the manufacturing process so you don't really know what is inside of the product but you get it for the lowest price possible. When you can't be 100% positive what is in your product you can't feel good about telling your customers it is safe for them and their families to inhale inside of their vehicles for years (at Second Skin, that is a HUGE part of our business plan, we do not offer products that could harm our customers, ever). At Second Skin, we reached out to the WORLDS LEADING manufacturer of products like that and had them develop our product line so that we knew for 100% certain what was in our foam (this company has been using Melamine in the aerospace, rail, and marine world for over 2 decades, they know their stuff) and that it meet all of our safety requirements and temperature ranges (handle above 400 degrees). 

So now that we have let you know why our base melamine foam is not as cheap as the made in China Mr. Eraser foam, let's get into what Second Skin does to it when it gets over here in our hands!!! 

At Second Skin, we like to make the installation easier on everybody (That is why we were the first to infuse CCF + MLV in one sheet). So our Melamine foam has a 465 degree high temp PSA adhesive backing added to the foam (this adhesive adds a large chunk to the total cost, it is almost as expensive as the foam itself, thus the $15 dollar difference for peel in stick vs non adhesive). The other thing we do to the foam is make it water resistant, we apply a process to the foam to makes it Hydrophobic, meaning water will run off and not get absorbed into it like all the cheap Melamine Foams. We also have a 3rd version, which we add a 1,000 degree heat shield to for our Aerospace and US Air Force customers to be able to enjoy. 

Like our company motto has always been, "Not All Sound Deadeners Are Created Equal" it is as true today as it was 19 years ago, when we first started manufacturing high quality American made sound deadening and heat insulation materials. Even when we have to import a product (Melamine Foam is the only one we do import) Second Skin WILL NOT sacrifice health and safety to make an extra buck off the backs of our customers or risk their lives. The paragraphs above  do not even take into account that all of our products including the Melamine Foam made over seas; meets all aircraft (FAA, BSS, etc.), HVAC, automotive, and transportation (rail) flame, smoke, and toxicity standards...I am sure that is not the same for the cheap Chinese made foams similar to Mr Eraser. You are more then welcome to use any product you would like in side of your vehicle, but Second Skin customers trust and insist on product materials that are not going to have hidden health effects or safety issues. PS, you can also get paint "cheap as f**k" from China, but would you paint your babies bedroom with it?

At Second Skin you may not see the cheapest products, but you will see products that work above and beyond, while lasting the lifetime of your vehicle and never failing. Always insist on high quality, inspected, and quality controlled Second Skin sound and heat insulation!!! 

Here is a small video showing you some of the differences of Melamine Foams that are made in China vs our high quality Melamine Foam 

Mega Zorbe Test Results Melamine Foam.gif

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

468x60.png

Wow, thanks for the write up and the info Second Skin!

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

No problem guys, we greatly appreciate customers in the industry who truly care about what makes sound deadeners different, I actually enjoy when the question comes up, because I drop the facts and usually get no response afterwards :rockwoot:(happens on several forums monthly).  It is a question we get weekly for 19 years, so we are all pretty well versed on "the why" and you guys are correct, it would be nice if more people understood, accepted and knew this info, although it is hard to know who to believe because there are so many companies piggy backing off the good stuff, spreading false information, and straight lieing to customers. I personally witnessed this at the huge event SEMA this year, I listened to a well known company just spreading straight lies about its competition and the abilities of their own product line...and the sheep were just eating it up. I raised my hand and asked a question that blew the companies mind (they then read my badge and realized where I was from and refused to answer my question in public). But no matter how many times it is proven by us and other professionals in the industry, over and over again, there will still be those guys that say "but my cousin buys this stuff at Home Depot that is the EXACT same".... some people just have to find out the hard way, when a sheet falls off into there window actuator or falls off into the hood into their fan belt. All we can do is pass out information and hope the masses take into consideration. No matter what, Second Skin will still continue to demand nothing but the best results from our product line!!! Enjoy the day!!! 

Edited by Second Skin
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

468x60.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 8:32 AM, s5300 said:

Was going to say this. Very impressive response. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to post on Facebook with context for that sweet sweet PR

Thanks SecondSkin

Posting today 

468x60.png