What's up guys and gals, haven't made a new topic in a hot minute and I hope everyone is doing well. Anywho, here it goes.

So my girlfriend has tasked me with designing and, eventually, building a soap box derby car for her organization to race during homecoming this coming year (mid November). I've got it all pretty much designed out and what not but i'm running into a bit of a snag. How should I design the axel/wheels? Would it be better to have a fixed axel and rely on the wheel's bearings or should I have fixed wheels and run the axel through bearings? Whichever is the case, how should I go about doing either one? 

Just as some extra info, this is a derby car that someone will be in a steering down a straight track. There is no motor, it is propelled by gravity. The car has to have 4 wheels. 

Thanks in advanced for y'all time and input. I just need some ideas. Even if I don't apply your idea directly, it could help spark something for me. 

I would do fixed axle and rely on the bearings, and depending on the bearings remove all the grease from said bearings with break cleaner and use oil (sewing machine oil works great nice and thin, its what I use in my ceramic skate bearings). Graphite powder is another option for lubrication too.

Reason I say remove the grease is because grease adds resistance slowing down the roll, granted grease is great for keeping out debris but for something that will be used once that wouldnt be a concern for me. 

As for steering it I would probably take some tube steel and weld up a home made rack and steering knuckle.

Archived