Sonic Electronix

was wondering what the difference between rms power and nominal power is 

for example im looking at the orion xtrpro sup they are rated at 

1250 rms

2500 nominal

5000 peak

plz help when i was in the car audio game they just had rms and peak but then again that was the 90s lol

RMS would be actual wattage made.

In engineering,  "nominal" is used to describe a measurement  (or group of measurements) that matches the predicted value(s) withing the expected margin of error.

More often than not, RMS ratings are not met.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

RMS means the amount of power is required to not damage the sub, nominal means it can handle that amount for a long period without any damage, and peak means that is about what the sub can handle peak wise before it self destructs by either bottoming out or smoking out!

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

I would say that it could handle 1250w all day long...but probably not 2500.  If it is what I am linking to, it doesn't appear to be built up enough to handle 2500 real musical watts for hours on end...but that is just my opinion.  I don't like how they have those ratings listed as it implies some dishonesty in it.  By 1250 RMS, that tells me it will handle what a 1250 CEA rated RMS watts all day.  To know what kind of amps will do that, look at Ryan Blakenship, BigDWiz or Steve Meade's amp dyno videos.  The AD-1 will help keep the makers honest on the amps and the subs will eventually follow suit.

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/xtrpro-series-subwoofers-/593-xtrpro-104d.html

Orion used to be fantastic stuff but more recently they have started doing the cost-savings made-in-china thing and have lost a bit of their reputation.  YMMV

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived