Proper password practices

I've been about growing paranoid with passwords lately. Seems like you always hear of a hack for this or that every week.

Here's my problem: I try to have different passwords for stuff, but I can only remember so many. Especially on those sites I only use a few times a year. It's enough to make my head spin. 

What's the most secure way to store them? I mean, obviously digital anything is prone to being hacked. Pen and paper? Is there a secure way to store them digitally? paper gets lost, wet, etc

What about password generation? Right now, my passwords are kinda derivatives of one another to make it easier to remember. Some sort of random number generator would be ideal, would eliminate the possibility of figuring out my other passwords through some sort of machine learning. But again, that comes with the caveat of having some way to store them. No way in hell I'd be able to remember 80-100 strings of different characters 

I keep all my banking PW's different, and but all other sites are the same PW to make it easier.

I just write my stuff down on paper and stuff it in with other sheets to look like anything else on the desk.

Oddly though, yahoo always keeps telling me an attempt was made on my account, and only yahoo has that happened to, so i think they keep sending these to try and use their new stuff.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

How serious are you if so I can put together some stuff. I may know a thing or two 

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

This is an extremely relevant topic, tuned in. My uncle had a stroke and he couldnt remember some of his passwords for important shit like his primary computer and his bank account. He told me specifically to write them down and put them in a safe. That sounds overkill but if you have a stroke tmrw you’d be fucked otherwise. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I have mine physically written down and in a safe.  2 safes, password for each in the other.  One is electric and one is not.  I always worry too about getting hacked or losing/forgetting a password.

On my computer I do have things a little encrypted to help me remember although sometimes I dont understand my thought process in the encryption to help me remember, lol.  What I mean is, if my password is something with my daughters name and some numbers or something I will make something in a file with pictures that says something like P=A-vacaDof15  which would be something like "Amber12172015" but then sometimes I dont remember what it mean,s and you still have to remember something because you have to remember which file of other stuff you hid it.  This is an example, this is not my password, lol.  

Like said above too, even though I hate technology for work i have to have multiple passwords for shit etc. etc. so I keep them the same or similar or whatever so they are just variations so i can remember all work stuff is like this....  Then the same for game stuff, all game stuff is like this.....  It may make me easier to get hacked but hopefully they only get one set of passwords and not the other, plus it helps me remember.  I dont worry about work or games, work has IT department, and games are just games....  for bank stuff I often types just mash the computer a SHITLOAD and write down on paper what it came up with so there is no logical way of tracking it to me (unless they run a script of what has all be typed)  but its just gibberish and is strong for ability not to duplicate.  

As for now I can remember them all for the most part.  

You should change them often too, that may help a little.  So many ways these days for hackers to do whatever.  Just because my computer doesnt get hacked doesnt mean that a work computer or bank computer wont get hacked....

I am not sure of all the best ways to do it, I can only imagine ya'll got some cool ideas, I am tuned in for a long discussion of some ideas.......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

6 hours ago, n8ball2013 said:

How serious are you if so I can put together some stuff. I may know a thing or two 

Quite

First things. Consider any password you have compromised. Use a password generator and a password vault. Keepass js what I use at work. I’ve also used password safe. Anything that encrypts at aes256 or higher is going to be fine. Avoid anything with one login and never reuse passwords  

Theres nothing wrong with a safe. Two is better. One half of the password in each. 

Multifactor anywhere you can. Look into companies that will let you set up or use multifactor.  PayPal actually does it. 

Biometrics good. It’s hard to fake who you are. 

Security questions. Handle them the same way. Vault them. Make the values to be bullshit.  If your first car was a Honda Accord your answer is Ford Fiesta. All that personal information has been collected and can be used.

dont put shit on line. All that can be used to fingerprint you and collect data that can be used to steal your stuff. 

Did I mention multifactor yet?  

Passwords don’t need to be complex as much as they need to be long. The key is to increase work factor. If your work factor for 8 characters is 101^8 (101 possible characters per character) just by doubling that password you’ve increased the work factor by double and enable compensating controls to kick in. 

Did I mention all your passwords in use are compromised?  

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived