Sundown Audio

master/slave amps

James8371

About to order another x12 and starting on the box this week. I am going to run my bc2k at .5 until I can afford another one. When I do get both amps, can I just master/slave them or do I have to gain match. I will be running 1 amp to each sub, not strapping them. Here is a pick of my current amp setup.

Yes, I realize the 6 inch long wires are cca, ran out of ofc.

Snapchat-1793391762.jpg

Running master/slave is strapping, no matter how many subs. As for which you should do, it’s up to preference, but some say that the results are better with gain matching. If you do strap, then the amp that is weaker (distorts sooner) should be the master. But once you’ve determined that, you may as well just gain match because you’ve done half of the work. 

My current sub is d2. The original plan was to get 2 d4's and run either a scv4k or bc5k, but buying another d2 and bc2k will save what I would loose selling my current setup. Also, I would like to have a bass knob because a lot of songs are mastered differently and some clip sooner than others. 

You mentioned running at .5, which, I'm not sure, but may be difficult with a d2 coil, then adding a board, you can strap at .5, which, I doubt the boards will even turn on, or run at .25 nominal, or make little power strapped at 4ohm (2ohm nominal)..or run them both at 1ohm matched  see what I'm getting at with my first question!?!?

Then again,.. my math may be off coil config wise. 

my experience has been, running two amps of equal power at 1 ohm each showed the exact same spl score as one amp at .5. your results may vary. 

3 hours ago, strangeduck said:

my experience has been, running two amps of equal power at 1 ohm each showed the exact same spl score as one amp at .5. your results may vary. 

Post dumping to say... well fuck man !?!!!! Cheers and welcome back Eric.. rad to see ya around bro.

Archived