Second Skin Audio

Theft deterrent suggestions for subs?

9Nails

I just had my Sundown Z 12 in a custom enclosure stolen. It seemed like it was a target of easy opportunity. The sub was sitting over the spare tire, and the enclosure was beautiful, so I never bolted it down. This really sucks.

I'm wondering what I could do to lock the enclosure to the car, prevent another loss. Something that would allow me to still remove the sub if I ever needed access to the spare.

I think bolting them down is about the best way but when it comes to a thief if they really want your stuff they will trash the box to get to the subs/amp... 

An aftermarket alarm system would help but slowing down a thief is probably your best bet. 

Another option would be to build brackets around the box so that its part of the car, adding just another step to get to your stuff. 

Like, you either go all the way or you don't. Anything else and a thief won't steal it, he'll just destroy it and more of the car most likely. 

Bluetooth dead-bolted doors on their own battery system and an interior mechanical trunk opening system. Like, bolt some metal to the inside of the top of the trunk, then run a steel cable wire system to inside the cab. At that point, probably want to do something to keep the hood secure too. Same thing, bolt on metal to the interior, have it go down into a vertical latch with a manual key system hidden somewhere in the grill of the car or under the front of the car.

All of that sounds really dumb and shitty cause I'm in bed on a shit laptop... but yeeeaaaah dude

There are a variety of security screws available that can slow down or prevent the average idiot thief...  You can use them to screw in amps to racks and subs to boxes and boxes and racks to the steel chassis...which may just slow them down or thwart them completely.

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Screws-Stainless-Tamper-Resistant/dp/B00SFZ0RPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527141173&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=security+screws&psc=1

The prepared thief may bring tools and foil those plans...or they can just steal the whole f'n car.  Consider insurance to cover your gear. It isnt that expensive to insure it.  Make sure your system is properly fused too as if they rip the cables out that stuff may short out and start a fire.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Don't put any stickers on your vehicle.  Don't bump close to home so no one will know where you live.  Bolt everything down like a mofo.  Get a car alarm.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Stickers on the outside screams "steal me". Ive seen some cool trunk locks that are connected to your key fob and are separate from the cars stock locking system. If you drive a truck or suv, and dont have a hidden trunk, tinted windows. also dumb stickers for car security might be good to throw onto your car (one or 2) to deter dumbass thieves. bolt down brackets from the box to the car, and also hidden amps are good too. my buddy has a 09 equinox, and has his sub and speaker amps, and 2nd battery in his spare tire area. now given he took out his spare, but for him it was worth it, also in his car that little panel locks. he has 2 brackets holding down his box that can be removed but its a pita

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

23 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

There are a variety of security screws available that can slow down or prevent the average idiot thief...  You can use them to screw in amps to racks and subs to boxes and boxes and racks to the steel chassis...which may just slow them down or thwart them completely.

If your going to use security screws I'd say get some square ones. I hardly see anyone use them so more than likely no thief would have them

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=square+screw&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Asquare+screw

Layer up the battle so it comes up and covers over top the screws. Think like a reverse mount fitment. Glue the bitch down. Wont get it out that way

Or you could get creative with some lock mechnisms that will still allow you to remove it. Pm me if interested. Posting it public would kinda defeat the point lol

Archived