Sundown Audio

Looking for assistance with tuning amp

Arsaces

8 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

While I am not certain of that model HU, many/most Pioneer HUs are factory set to 1% THD at very near the max volume as measured through the RCA outputs.  The HU amplifier may not be.  If you are using the RCA outs of the deck, you may not need to put the DD-1 on the deck.  If you are only using the 4 channel to power some components, you can probably do just fine adjusting the gains on the Skar amp without any tools...just use your ears.

I appreciate the help, I am still new to fine tuning everything, I can run wire and hook things up all day, but once it gets to the point of dialing everything in I'm awful. I am using the RCAs. In the video you linked when he says that he is seeing distortion, the dd1 isn't showing distortion, nor can I see any visible change on the oscope. Am I missing something there? Perhaps I'm coming at the problem incorrectly, I feel like with this setup I should have quite a bit more volume available, yet when I turn it up there is a point where it sounds like the woofers are just not happy. This point changes song by song, and I assumed that the signal is being distorted. My ears' lack of experience has led me to the point where I just wanted to pay someone to come out with the tool and confirm or deny whether or not I'm crazy. I realize that diagnosing something like this is tough over the internet even with a recording due to microphone quality.

All the DD-1 is used for is to detect distortion.  The benefit it provides is twofold, to get the most volume safely out of your system and prevent damaging your gear.

If the volume of your system seems low, you should check the polarity of each speaker again. If one (or more) are reversed polarity they can cancel out the others. If it is your sub that seems low volume, try moving it if you can. Rotate it 90 degrees, face it upwards, face it rearwards...try different things and see if this changes the volume in the drivers seat.  Sometimes just rotating a sub box in a different direction can result in 5 or more db at the front of the car.  You may also have the sub wired in series instead of parallel.(if it is DVC)

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived