Sundown Audio

Looking for assistance with tuning amp

Arsaces

Setup:

HU: Pioneer Avic-8200nex

Amp: Skar SK-M4004D

Speakers: Precision Power P.65c3

Looking for someone in the Jacksonville FL Area with a DD-1 to assist with tuning my system. I bought an oscope to try and set the gains up, however I think that I still have distortion in some areas. Music just doesn't sound correct, and gets nowhere near as loud as anticipated for the setup. Willing to pay for time.

-Nate

Best bet is to try setting the amp to  1/4 of the way up on the gain of the amp and also make sure the deck if it has it controls the cut off freq for the PPI 6.5 speakers and not the amp that way it controls the freq instead of the amp.

That is how I have my American Bass 4100 FR setup and it sounds crisp & clear on my Alpine TypeS 5.5

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

Fair enough, but given how difficult it is to find these speakers (they are discontinued per the manufacturer), and how much I paid for a factory sealed set, I would like to take every precaution to protect them while enjoying their sound.

have you tried adjusting the EQ to your listening preference? are you using the SLA? what are you using with your scope to play signal?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

17 minutes ago, fasfocus00 said:

have you tried adjusting the EQ to your listening preference? are you using the SLA? what are you using with your scope to play signal?

1khz test tone through usb, I verified that I have no clipping from the HU all the way through max volume, but I can't tell if there is distortion or not. I adjusted the SLA, and used the HU to put in a DB drop off in the bottom range which helped, but on some song I feel like I still hear distortion and want to be certain that I'm not putting a dirty signal to my speakers before playing around with other settings.

1 hour ago, Arsaces said:

1khz test tone through usb, I verified that I have no clipping from the HU all the way through max volume, but I can't tell if there is distortion or not. I adjusted the SLA, and used the HU to put in a DB drop off in the bottom range which helped, but on some song I feel like I still hear distortion and want to be certain that I'm not putting a dirty signal to my speakers before playing around with other settings.

what db recording? what source? music is dynamic so even if you have some distortion it's not going to do that much harm. if you recognize it's consistent than turn the volume down. I know Steve shows doing 5db overlap on highs and 10 db overlap on bass, I have gotten use to doing 10db overlap overall to compensate on some poor recordings and poor sources like SAT.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

While I am not certain of that model HU, many/most Pioneer HUs are factory set to 1% THD at very near the max volume as measured through the RCA outputs.  The HU amplifier may not be.  If you are using the RCA outs of the deck, you may not need to put the DD-1 on the deck.  If you are only using the 4 channel to power some components, you can probably do just fine adjusting the gains on the Skar amp without any tools...just use your ears.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived