4Volts pre out... where are they?

Hi all,

I have a head unit that delivers about 5.2 volts pre out at max power with no clipping - making it a great unit. But the fact is after the RCAs  (using RF 20 feet) i am getting about 2 - 2,5 Volts. I am woundering if iam having rca issues or if this power drop is normal?

Changing RCA, is it going to improve? What brand and model do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Movepage 

—————————————————————————————————————

HU - Alpine - CDA-9887R

Changer - Alpine - CHA-S624

Amp - RF - R600x5

Front Speakers - RF - P165-SI + Alpine SPG-10C2

Rear Speakers - RF - P1650

Sub - RF - P2D4-10 on Vented Box 

Hi Crazy8s Drums,

You are righ, I have no complaints regarding the sound coming from the RCA’s - they are great. But, I was under the impression the amps gains where there to regulate the amplifier sensibility to the input signal that is regulated by the radio volume knob, and not to increase the voltage, is this concept incorrectthen?

The point is I have 20foot and in the very extraem situation I have a drop from 5.2volts to 2.5volts that is 2.7volts - if this was a 2v head unit, the signal would’t Reach the amp, is there any way I can improve on this?

Thanks

Filipe

HU - Alpine - CDA-9887R

Amp - RF - R600x5

Changes in the volume knob on the deck result in changes in voltage in the RCAs to the amps. The standard length of prefab RCAs for car audio amplifier kits is 17ft so your 20 ft length is not at all extreme.  I have a 2v RCA output on my HU and the amps in back don't have any problems with it.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

I would advise against running the RCAs alongside your power cables though.  Current running through a conductor creates a magnetic field around it which can induce noise into speaker wires and RCA cables.  Try to route your power cables on one side of the car and your RCAs on the other...

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

10 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

I would advise against running the RCAs alongside your power cables though.  Current running through a conductor creates a magnetic field around it which can induce noise into speaker wires and RCA cables.  Try to route your power cables on one side of the car and your RCAs on the other...

That is how ive had mind since they were installed in Las Vegas, and ive done that many times an never had a issue, plus I always use shielded RCA's

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

Hi Crazy 8s Drum,

Thanks for the tip, will take me some time to do it, and I will rerout the RCA’s to the drive side and pass them below the drivers seat. However i don’t have much option when getting all the cables in the trunk.

Changing the rout of the cables, will reduce any unwanted noise, but still does not explain the big power drop I am getting - unless it s normal. I am getting more than 50% loss just on wire resistance.

On your system, at the point of connection to the amp, do you read 2Volts or less?

Thanks in advance

Movepage

HU - Alpine - CDA-9887R

Amp - RF - R600x5

Hi , 

the RCA’s I am using are the RFI-20, the key features are:

• Split center pin for secure connection