Sundown Audio

Orion amp only goes into protect when RCAs are plugged in?

Dale

some amp designs will try to ground through the rcas if they are hooked up before the ground is hooked up

not sure if it is prevalent on higher powered amps

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried the amp with no RCAs at all. Just positive, negative and remote. The light is green and the amp is good to go. So yes, that does constitute me trying the power before the RCAs.

Most of wat orion makes now is cheap and chinese. Sounds like an internal issue with the amp. Could of been a bad batch of them made and u got unlucky twice. Id move on to a diff amp if others work correctly.

mathew it's looking like I might have to just get a new amp altogether and just side-step this whole issue. It's just so hard finding an amp that will put out that much power for that footprint.

Have u looked at the skar rp series or soundqubed? Both budget brands with solid equipment. Pioneer also has a 1200 watt monoblock that does over rated dynamically. But idk how reliable they are.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, mathewyocham said:

Most of wat orion makes now is cheap and chinese. Sounds like an internal issue with the amp. Could of been a bad batch of them made and u got unlucky twice. Id move on to a diff amp if others work correctly.

His particular amp is Korean. They're good amps too. 

If its doing it on 2 different amps, and the amps are fine without those rcas plugged in then I would say that there is a short in your rca cables someplace. 

Either you put a screw through them somehow when putting trim back on the vehicle after running the cables, or inside the ends where the wires are hooked to the plug are shorted.

The center pin of a rca cord is positive, while the outside ring is negative, if they are shorted your amp will kick protect because your sending a positive signal to the outer rca ring or your grounding out the center pin.

9 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

If its doing it on 2 different amps, and the amps are fine without those rcas plugged in then I would say that there is a short in your rca cables someplace. 

Either you put a screw through them somehow when putting trim back on the vehicle after running the cables, or inside the ends where the wires are hooked to the plug are shorted.

The center pin of a rca cord is positive, while the outside ring is negative, if they are shorted your amp will kick protect because your sending a positive signal to the outer rca ring or your grounding out the center pin.

He tried other amps tho same wiring and everything and they work with np.

Archived