Sundown Audio

Orion amp only goes into protect when RCAs are plugged in?

Dale

10 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

He tried other amps tho same wiring and everything and they work with np.

don't forget they might have different protection systems

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

11 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Opening the amps will void the warranty too...don't do it until you contact Orion.

Warranty void stickers are ILLEGAL in the USA. A company that voids your warranty could be sued, granted the average consumer has no chance going against a company that has million dollar lawyers. 

The FTC is actually going after companies like Sony and Microsoft for their gaming consoles and other various products.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage 

Looks like Nintendo is on that list too.
FTC Gives Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo 30 Days to Get Rid of Illegal Warranty-Void-if-Removed Stickers

The FTC says that if companies don't change their warranty practices, it may take 'legal action.'

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xw7b3z/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-sony-microsoft-nintendo-ftc-letters

18 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

He tried other amps tho same wiring and everything and they work with np.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, Dale said:

I wish it were the Orion amp itself...but this is the second amp that I got brand new and same thing.

Different amps may have been fine, but he tried 2 of the same amps with the same issue, and as Deathcards said the amps can easily have different protection systems in place.
Fun fact, some amps that claim to have certain protect features actually dont do what they claim.

It could be an RCA issue Singled Ended (coaxial) vs Differential (twisted).

Thanks for all of the replies guys:

Yes I am getting a refund for both amplifiers!! 

I have used different RCAs with the same issue.

I have never seen this before, but I can't waste energy trying to figure it out.

I am just going to check out Skar Audio rp1500

I doubt it's the issue since you wired up a different board and it powered up, but have you tried to reground or clean up your existing ground. A few months back I was installing a Crossfire 400/4 in a truck and the amp was going into protect when I plugged in RCA's. Checked ground under the truck and it was covered in dirt and whatever else. Cleaned it off good and it powered right up, haven't had a problem since. 

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

I decided to try Orion yet one more time and pulled the trigger on a 2500.1dz. It did the exact same thing, however, I was able to get it to work when I pulled out the RCAs slightly to the point where the outer metal jacket did  not touch the metal inputs of the amp--just the center connector. I am wondering if the differential balanced output from the head unit is culprit.

Other than that, the amp makes tons of power and I couldn't be happier with it.

Archived