Sonic Electronix

How to attach these speaker pods?

Sup guys, I am thinking about cutting a thin 1/2" sheet of MDF and attaching it to the bottom of my door panel and then screwing these plastic speaker pods onto the doors. Thoughts on this?

sparkgeorg-ebay-fiberglass-pods-trimming

My old eBay fiberglassed Pods looked like this but it was too bulky so I"m redoing it with new smaller pods.

sparkgeorg-ebay-fiberglass-ghetto-box-7.

sparkgeorg-ebay-fiberglass-pods-done-10.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Do it. Next time tho, consider a jigsaw to carefully cut the plastic door panel.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Do it. Next time tho, consider a jigsaw to carefully cut the plastic door panel.  

Yeah, I bought a dremel after I had already f*cked up my door panels with the box cutter :(

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

My dremel couldnt get a clean cut on the plastic door panel. It would heat up too much and leave the edges of the cut with bunch of globs of melted plastic. I mightve been using the "metal" cutting discs tho, maybe another bit would make cleaner cuts. 

But damn, u took a box cutter to the doors? Lol gangsta.

23 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

My dremel couldnt get a clean cut on the plastic door panel. It would heat up too much and leave the edges of the cut with bunch of globs of melted plastic. I mightve been using the "metal" cutting discs tho, maybe another bit would make cleaner cuts. 

Even with the plastic and thin cuts I still get some build up on the edges. I think jigsaws your best bet but maybe one with a lot of teeth and take your time.

Huh. When I use a dremel on plastic... For the most part, I actually run the tool high RPM to melt the plastic. Feel like it's easier to do what I want that way once you get the hang of it down. Just de-burr the blobs at the end and everything comes out clean. Easiest way is just a sanding drum at low RPM, breaks the re-hardened melt right off

Jigsaw is clean as fuck with plexiglass blade. I cut mine flawless. No burr, no melt. Ill post a pic from my BL later

EDIT:

26767212487_639875bdb9_k.jpgIMG_5628 by Walled Sonic, on Flickr

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Actually looks decent. I forgot to take pictures of the 1/2" thick plywood under the pod before adding carpet.

Used a Dremel tool to cut a hole in the door panel for a nice flush trim tweeter install. I made a mistake spray panting the nut ends on the pod and f*cked up the paint on the pods :( Also the carpet on the right wasn't done right so I had to cut another piece to lay on top.

podsv2-01.jpg

podsv2-02.jpg

podsv2-03.jpg

podsv2-04.jpg

podsv2-05.jpg

podsv2-07.jpg

podsv2-08.jpg

podsv2-09.jpg

podsv2-10.jpg

podsv2-12.jpg

Looks cleaner than what I had going on before (two of my crossovers are inside of the door behind the door panel right now.

sparkgeorg-ebay-fiberglass-pods-done-5.j

Sounds better than the old eBay pods I had. Subs turned off in this video.

Archived