Sundown Audio

clip light on bass knob flicks on initial bass hit...

Masterbasser

I have 4 digital designs m5s ran in master/link mode,  tuned with smd dd-1/track 7 (-15 db)  I notice when the volume is towards the end of the tuned range the clip light on the amp will flicker on the initial attack of the bass hit, it triggers for less then a second and goes away then disappears until another initial bass attack....

should i be concerned?  the system is set extremely conservative due to working out some issues and breaking in subs...

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Soundqubed s1-1250 which came with a bass knob that has a clip light also...and it does diddly squat.  It just stays lit the whole time.  Other members here have said that the clip light on bass knobs are just about useless.  I don't play it at its fullest so it doesn't matter that much to me....

As you have set your gear with a DD-1, you won't have to worry about it, IMO.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Tuning with -15 dB is a bad idea. Ignoring your clip light is a bad idea. There are songs with peaks that reach -1 even 0 dB. And also, on some songs the bass is made up of more notes. So there's an initial bass hit and some continuous bass that follow immediately after the initial hit. Most times the initial hit is recorded at a much higher level than the continuous bass. Take for example this song, OTW by Khalid:

bass.jpg

I highlighted the initial bass hit with red in Paint and the following continuous bass with green. See how there's a huge height difference between them? The initial bass hit is 60 hz and is recorded at around -1.5 dB. The following continuous bass is around 35 hz and is recorded at around -7 dB. Huge difference. If you set the gain for the continuous bass to be at max volume, you will be clipping at every initial bass hit.

Never ignore your clip light. DD is not stupid. That light is there for a reason.

2 minutes ago, alex912005 said:

Never ignore your clip light. DD is not stupid. That light is there for a reason.

The bass knob seems to be treated as an afterthought for most if not all manufacturers, like a freebie thrown in the box, and are not subjected to the same quality control as the amps themselves.  Because the one I got from Soundqubed, (also not stupid), doesnt work for sh*t, I looked into others experience with them.  It seems to be very common that the clip light on the bass knob is not a reliable indicator of amp clipping.

This may be an opportunity for a product.  The clipping light would be a very useful feature, if it worked accurately. 

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

15 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

The bass knob seems to be treated as an afterthought for most if not all manufacturers, like a freebie thrown in the box, and are not subjected to the same quality control as the amps themselves.  Because the one I got from Soundqubed, (also not stupid), doesnt work for sh*t, I looked into others experience with them.  It seems to be very common that the clip light on the bass knob is not a reliable indicator of amp clipping.

This may be an opportunity for a product.  The clipping light would be a very useful feature, if it worked accurately. 

There is a major difference between SoundQubed and DD.  Budget Brand vs Standard-Setter.

EDIT: There is a product... D'Amore's OM-1.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

12 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

...but they are both in Oklahoma City and their stuff is made in Korea or China!  :D    I hope he can get more resolution to the bass knob issue than Soundqubed gave to me... 1f615.png

Resolution is to get a RCA bass knob and an OM-1.  Problem solved.  I run 10K on this setup and subs dont get stinky anymore.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Oh!  I didn't realize that the RCA type would work with amps that don't have RCA bass knob connections.  I see now that they are pass through and can work with most amps.  I am grateful for the heads up!

Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Universal-Controller-Amplifier-Volt-Meter/dp/B07C3DRH2L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527870566&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+bass+knob

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

6 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Oh!  I didn't realize that the RCA type would work with amps that don't have RCA bass knob connections.  I see now that they are pass through and can work with most amps.  I am grateful for the heads up!

Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Universal-Controller-Amplifier-Volt-Meter/dp/B07C3DRH2L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527870566&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+bass+knob

Yeah but you need the OM-1. That's the important part, not the bass knob.

Archived