Second Skin Audio

Is the sound affected by subwoofer box DIMENSIONS if the cubic feet is the same?

I want the "to spec" ported box for my 13.5" JL W7, but it won't fit through any trunk opening (besides SUVs). If I had someone build a custom box with the same exact cubic feet, but the dimensions are different, will it sound exactly the same?

Thank you for your time.

YES!!;)

I´ve done many testing about this, the further away the sub is from the back of the box the lower it plays and viceversa, also, measures get the sub closer or further away from walls on the car wich act as loading wall and let you play lower also for example

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

With the same raw displacement specs, dimensions greatly effect the sound and efficiency. Don't have documentation to prove it, but I had a 2.5db difference with 2 different boxes despite the same displacement, tuning, and port area

Port and sub locations can vary results.

Even using a different shape of port, Like some people like to build a port that doesn't run the width or height of the box so they will make it sorter and this can change output as well.
For example, this port runs left to right, but rather than making the height shorter and making it the full width to get the same amount of port area they made it narrower and taller.
Which also leads to the next thing of a port running the full width will add some additional stability to the enclosure because its also acting as a brace between the left and right sides of the enclosure. 
83841ba8_IMG_0750.jpeg

5 hours ago, strangeduck said:

what changed snowdrifter? 

One common chamber, asymmetric sub loading vs. separate chambers, symmetrical, and driver placement furthest from the port opening. Will see if I have box pics somewhere. A lot of my shit got lost in the photobucket fiasco

143s
image.thumb.png.f243ec03787fb146332586217ebf1d55.png

143s. Didn't fuck with it since it loaded pretty poorly. Tuned slightly higher, reduced air space compared to previous box
image.thumb.png.66bfb3689554c7a48787e3b6f67cda00.png

145s. Same displacement and port area of previous box. Shrunk it with some 2x4 and peaked in the high 147s. Actually did this one before the one above. Tried to improve on it without success
image.thumb.png.976f2356a075c5e6314f638c78e71b45.png

This one was just a fail. Bad baffle flex, wasn't braced enough. Busted screws the first time I turned it up

image.thumb.png.7100048a271372313e658dba6be8264a.png

And a woofer for your time
image.thumb.png.ea6fb9aec649f7bfbd2596f90275e9b2.png

On 6/6/2018 at 1:54 AM, SnowDrifter said:

One common chamber, asymmetric sub loading vs. separate chambers, symmetrical, and driver placement furthest from the port opening. Will see if I have box pics somewhere. A lot of my shit got lost in the photobucket fiasco

The first box with the port on the side looks like it has lesser port area than the other slotted port ones.

Archived