First ever system build ( daily driver) *MACK's MURDER BASS DENALI*

first off. huge thanks to Triticum Agricolam (for my box design, your the man, straight up,) also  walledsonic, broke audio addict, big mizzle, skullz, and Dylan bunch for the countless replies, help and mentoring through pms. I wouldn't have learned all I have without it. you guys are pure fucking gold.

the goal of my build was stock looking, but also as big of sound as I could get. after having two systems built by visions and bestbuy when iwas younger. and how pathetic they sounded, and overpriced they were, encouraged me to take matters into my own hands.

this truck is my daily driver. it goes down dirty muddy dusty rig roads. it sees snow, rain, and -40c. its got spills in the back, certain parts of the system has imperfections, but its mine, and I built it, and couldn't be happier. this has been a five year project. and ive lost most of the pictures I took mid build, but worked with what I could. 

this is my 2012 sierra denali with about  50,000 kms on it.

Screenshot_20180608_165908.png

SOUND DAMPENING AND SPEAKERS INSTALL

as far as the sound dampening went I had 40 square feet of dynamat extreme and 40 square feet of second skin damp pro. 

used the second skin on my doors. inside and out. sealing them off. foam speaker cups and second skin sound wave breaker pads behind my 6.5 mids.

I used left over chunks of sound damp on my pillars of truck cab.

IMG_20180602_153902.jpg

IMG_20180602_141600.jpg

IMG_20180601_173759.jpg

hertz mille 6.5 components in each door

IMG_20180601_173752.jpg

hertz mlk tweets in the sail panels

IMG_20180606_130243.jpg

although I would of liked to have my tweets on axis and my mids in kick panels that just isn't in the cards right now, I may be adding a second set of components in near future. im still a big fan of the stock look

IMG_20180606_130352.jpg

I was gonna go for a green and black theme. in all my components. but that didn't pan out. strictly a money thing.

ENCLOSURE AND SUBWOOFERS

I asked triticum to design me a box as i tried countless times and failed. he was good enough to help me and we ended up with 5.5 cubes and a vent tuned to 27 or 28hz. cant remember off hand. 

this is his design. 

Screenshot_20170801_022410.png

I have no woodworking experience. like car audio. all self taught. I went with 3/4 Russian Baltic birch. in the 5x5 sheets. not the Chinese shit. 

I had 4 bessey clamps for this box-brad nailer-tiebond 3 wood glue and kind of just winged it. I had nothing to square shit with. which left a few things out mybe an 1/8th of a inch here or there. which as you can see I in some of the other pictures I fixed with a trowel and wood glue, filled it in. made it square. I wasn't too concerned considering I was finishing with herculiner at the end.

I actually used wood glue instead of silicone in the corners. couple coats to seal it off from the inside. I had the time. didn't have the silicone. 

you can see my braces were done with brads and pl premium glue, had no way to clamp them properly in place so that's why I picked pl.

On one section of the box had to use gorilla glue so it would expand and joine two pieces off wood together that were a little out. I made shit work. it aint perfect. but it works. and its built like a fucking tank. way to many brads. way too much glue. and way to many coats of herculiner. but I wanted it overbuilt. especially since iw as unsure of myself the whole time iw as building it. 

Dayton audio gold plated binding posts on both boxes

IMG_20180601_155713.jpg

IMG_20180516_120144.jpg

IMG_20180516_122715.jpg

my son thought I built him a play house

IMG_20180602_121829.jpg

used these wood screws on my driver. biggest I could fit. pre drilled holes etc

IMG_20180529_153059.jpg

8 gauge ofc speaker wire from sky high. and a  2 ohm dvc wired  down to 1 ohm on a fi sp4v2 18" running off a crescendo 4.5 k

IMG_20180602_121404.jpg

4 coats of herculiner

IMG_20180601_213835.jpg

since my box is tuned low I made another box. 1 cubic foot. sealed. herculiner on the ouside and the inside. Baltic birch. blah blah blah. with a hertz spl 10" driver 600 watt rms at 4 ohms. (my hertz 4 channel is 150 wrms x4 or 150 wrmsx2 plus 500 wrms@4 ohm)

so im running a set of components off the amp plus this little 10 to pick up the higher bass frequencys and add a bit more punch. couldn't be happier with that decision. or the amp. it never gets hot even going full tilt. warm yes. 

IMG_20180604_131559.jpg

still got room for one car seat in the back. wife only wants one kid. its why everythigns set up the way it is.  you can see a bit of cardboard on the boxes where I didn't let the herculiner dry long enough. had a cold spell in Canada. something im going to fix very soon. like I said. certain imperfections here and there. all valuable lessons learned. 

my big box still needs some supports underneat so its not just resting on the back seat but I havet got there just yet. 

BATTERIES/ALT/WIRING

big 3 is done. 370 amp mechman. 2/0 gauge welding cables and 2/0 gauge ground cable with 2 protective jackets. 100 percent copper (industrial oil rig shit, and free at that)

I used tinned copper on the terminals. soldered and crimped and heatshrink. would of liked to match my heatshrink but like I said, system was built over 5 years. 

good years continental elite (gatorback) serpentine belt

IMG_20180606_125851.jpg

my second battery xs power 3300 amp. fused up in the top right corner]

IMG_20180606_125818.jpg

second battery. skyhigh car audio aluminum terminal thingys. everythings fused with 400 amp fuses (fused in accordance with the wire size 2/0 gauge) after seeing some other builds and the way you guys put fuse blocks where I have multiple fuses. im going to go that route. I think it looks cluttered right now. at least its safe and secured)

IMG_20180606_125904.jpg

3 runs of 2\o gauge power. didn't need the 3rd one so big but wanted to give myself some breathing room if I decide to upgrade. putting as many runs of the size of wire I did through the rubber grommets in this thing is something I never wish to go through again

AMPLIFIERS/CROSSOVERS

IMG_20180603_174513.jpg

built myself a little amp rack in about 5 seconds.all the amps and crossovers are bolted down. wires tied. etc this isn't my final job. want to make it look a little more professional once Iget  all the carpet changed in the back of the cab. one day this truck will have a new paintjob. be turbod, riding on 26s. but that's a bit down the road

seat down side view, fairly stealth, like I said. not final.

IMG_20180606_130116.jpg 

side view of the subs. the big one like I said doesn't have its supports under it yet. it just rests on the passenger seat. will have that done this weekend. that's why its sitting crooked

https://image.ibb.co/iaE3iT/IMG_20180606_130106.jpg[/img]

ground wires. crimped. soddered. 

IMG_20180602_165632.jpg
used an existing truck bolt to do chasis ground on all three ground runs. less than 1.5 feet long. I ran out of black shrink wrap had to use a red.

IMG_20180602_172423.jpg

sorry for any typos or mismatched pictures. did this all on my phone.

Daily driver

• Crescendo Audio Encore 4.5k
  • Fi SP4v2 18" ( 5.5 cube vented tuned 27hz)
  • Hertz Millie mid-range, tweets, xovers
  • Hertz SPL Show 10" mid-bass ( 1 cube sealed box)
  • Hertz hdcp 4 channel amp
  • 370 amp mechman hairpin
  • 2x d3400 XS Power batteries
  • 2/0 gauge 100% ofc welding/ground cable (big 3 done)
  • 40 ft.2 second skin pro/ 40 ft.2 dynamat extreme ( doors sealed)

Daily driver

58 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Nice work. Great job. Hows it sound? you diggin it? God, i absolutly loved my V1 sp4s. Probably one of, if not my favorite driver i have ran to date. And that says something.  

It sounds unbelievable when I keep the volume sensible. Subs aren't broken in yet and amps gain aren't set properly yet. My smd dd1 doesn't get here until the 12th so have had a chance.tontest.my enclosure and equipment to it's full potential.  Even with out any subs just doors sealed and sound dampener the sound and mid bass was unbelievable. I'm very happy  with the end result. So far.

Daily driver

Just now, 06RTCharger said:

Nice truck! Also love the coverage on the doors. 

Not worried about ur boy bunching the sub? Lol or ripping the surround somehow, sub does look pretty stout tho, not very fragile lookin.

well his car seat wil be on the window seat. leaving that bit of space by the middle. I am worried about it definitely. but only having one kid. whos isn't a physcopath yet. and me being able to see him behind me. I will just have to keep extra care

Daily driver

8 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

Oh yah u still got the middle seat too. Maybe later u can fashion some kinna metal mesh grill, like mark from CarAudioFabrication makes.

that's a boss idea. ill keep that in mind

Daily driver

Archived