Headunit wont turn on anymore

Ok so good news is i benched or "trunked" it i guess, using my cars battery in the trunk and it turns on. BUT when i disconnect the redwire (accesory turn on) the headunit shuts off again. Isnt the red wire just to turn it on then it stays on? The red wire isnt supposed to have constant voltage going thru it right??

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

Ok so good news is i benched or "trunked" it i guess, using my cars battery in the trunk and it turns on. BUT when i disconnect the redwire (accesory turn on) the headunit shuts off again. Isnt the red wire just to turn it on then it stays on? The red wire isnt supposed to have constant voltage going thru it right??

No. It needs ground, constant, and turn-on to be powered to remain on. If the turn-on wire was just for turning it on, then your radio would never turn off when you turn the car off

1 hour ago, reedal said:

But that means you have an issue in the car’s circuit. Either ground, constant, or turn-on.

Been out here for a couple hours tryna figure it out. I think its the RP4-CH11 module. It still gets hot/warm even if the car is off, as long as its plugged in its getting hot. Think ill give PAC a call tomorrow, see what they say about a module getting hot. 

What makes it more difficult is that the turn-on is coming from the CANBUS wires in the OEM radio harness. The pac module takes those data wires in and sends out the info thru the corresponding wires as needed. So its hard to check for sure if the accesory turn-on is working properly but it looks like the red wire coming OUT of the pac module isnt sending any power at all out, no matter what position i have the key in. But there is power coming before the module. So thats what im gonna try to check on and eliminate next, if the module is broke.

if the PAC is getting the turn-on signal, but the PAC isn't sending it to your HU, then that module is the problem. double check the connections in and out of it. maybe PAC will replace it......

Just wire the switched 12v wire to a fuse thats switched turn on, problem solved.

I have seen those pac modules go bad though so you may have got a bad one.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Went with ur idea @Broke_Audio_Addict Because i dont wanna wait for a new pac. Removed the PAC completly. Just the headunit is wired, only wire i had to splice into was for the ACC signal. Checked my ciglighter with the dmm to see if its constant or switched, its switched so i just tied the headunits redwire into the positive wire of that plug. Worked like a charm.

Just gonna run it like that for now till i can get a replacement and talk to pac to figure out what went wrong and assure me i wire the next module correctly.

Archived