Difference Between McLaren Audio Tweeters

SpydreX

I am starting a new demo build and am shopping for what kind of front stage I want. I think I have settled on 2 tweeters in the A-pillar, 1 6.5" mid in the A-pillar, and 1 8" mid woofer in the door panel. The tweeters I am looking at are the McLaren MLT-2, MLT-28, MLT-5, and MLT-4C. I want the cleanest sounding setup up possible but still be able to keep up with the 4 zcon 18's that are going to be in the rear wall. What is the main differences between those 4 different tweeters? Does the quality increase with price or is there more too it. 

Originally I was going to go with Focal KX3s but then I thought about it for a bit and decided that would be ridicoulous as they wouldn't get loud enough and the fact that you really want a high fidelity lower powered subwoofer to pair with them. Don't think KX3s would be a good set for SPL/SQL.

Hertz seems to make some really nice speakers too, handle more power than Focals but have comparable sound quality. Anyone have any recommendations? I am not dead set on McLaren Audio btw.

mclaren makes great tweets i have used the silk domes in my last 2 builds, i dont like the sound of super tweets really so i usually stack a bunch of the silk domes on a pilar

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

24 minutes ago, Masterbasser said:

mclaren makes great tweets i have used the silk domes in my last 2 builds, i dont like the sound of super tweets really so i usually stack a bunch of the silk domes on a pilar

You mean these? https://droppinhzcaraudio.com/mclaren-audio-mlt-60-mylar-dome-tweeter-pair/

A 6.5” driver on a A-Pilar ??? Unless you using this for a legit mid bass driver, it really doesn’t matter what tweeter you go with ...

system will be very unbalanced for what your intended (posted) goals are for in this particular application ...

just saying

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

A 6.5” driver on a A-Pilar ??? Unless you using this for a legit mid bass driver, it really doesn’t matter what tweeter you go with ...

system will be very unbalanced for what your intended (posted) goals are for in this particular application ...

just saying

In for learning. Assuming the 8 is for 50-150hz, the 6.5 is for 150-4000hz, and tweet for 4000-20khz, whats the concern, and how would you recommend changing that setup for the better? 

I’d never get 6.5s in my A-pillar, but i was considering a 2-3” full range on my A pillars and some midbass in the kicks so im interested in your recommendations. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

OK, let's see if I can remember some of this ...

Tweeters ... 20,000 htz down to around 3,000 htz. For a natural, robust sound ,,, a larger than you might think amplifier would work really well here. With this dynamic of a range and depending on install application, this tweeter can be used without a midrange with a powerful 6.5" driver. commonly known as a 2 way passive setup. I normally run my tweeters down to 2,600 htz.

Midrange ... My personal favorites are a 4" driver and a 5,25" driver (What I ran in White Lightning). Usually start those around 2,600 htz down to 180 htz if possible. May have to go a little higher with the 4" drivers. tuning to the specific application would help out here ... If you go too small of a midrange, it will not blend well with the midbass driver. If you go with a too large of a midrange, it will not blend well with the tweeter. here you take the large chance of having phase and frequency gap issues that a "end all be all" processor can not fix.

Midbass ... CONE AREA IS KING. Frequency range I like to roam in is 180 htz down to 70 htz. MOST of this is a test and tune area to blend with the upper frequency scale.I love working with 6.5" and 8" drivers on this. Depending on application, WELL installation practices and monster amplifier power ... Well, You get the idea here.

Sub bass ... I'm going to assume you got this one !!!

Time Alignment ... Yes, work with it !!! You will love it !!!

This is the area I like to set my stage and image with ... It will get you close to a full spectrum setup. Hope this helps. I will explain more, just ask.

My "White Lightning" setup ...

image_url-43297-1379769634.jpg

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived