Second Skin Audio

Quick Question

krazz619

So I got a Scion tC with a Rockford T2 15" black cone in the hatch.

Recently moved to Arizona and I am wondering how worried I should be about the sunlight damaging the sub? The way I made my box, has the sub facing up at the window and port back towards rear.

Windows are tinted 5%, the box is painted black. Let's say my car is parked outside 5+ days a week for over 6+ hours cause of work and when I am home, the car will be in the garage.

I do have an extra sun shade that I cover the rear hatch to help the amps and sub. Also I bought ArmorAll Protectant to clean the sub.

Should I always use the sun shade whenever I am out?

How often should I use ArmorAll or is that not a good product to use?

I took the sub out for now thinking of getting a cheaper sub to replace until I build a new box with the sub also facing the rear like the port, should I stay with this?

Thanks guys

2015 Scion tC

DieHard AGM Battery, Stock Alternator, with Big 3

Alpine CDA-105, Hertz Energy 6.5" 3 Way Components, Skar TX65 Coaxials

Rockford Fosgate T2D215

Skar RP-1500.1D and RP-150.4AB

The tint should block most of the harmful UV.  You should be worried more about the thieving tweakers than the sun damage to your sub, and there isnt much you can do about the heat.  Shit is just starting to get hot here too... Welcome to Arizona!  :D

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

2 minutes ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

The tint should block most of the harmful UV.  You should be worried more about the thieving tweakers than the sun damage to your sub, and there isnt much you can do about the heat.  Shit is just starting to get hot here too... Welcome to Arizona!  :D

I like the sound of that haha. Ever since I started throwing subs in my car I've always been worried about thieves. But now with the tint, unless you got really good lighting, you can't see inside the rear.

And thank you! Recently moved from expensive ol' California and I am happy to be here. Only negative is the heat but I can deal with it.

2015 Scion tC

Rockford Fosgate T2D215

Just now, Crazy 8s Drums said:

Depending on how/where your amp is located and how hard you bump, you might have to add some air circulation to keep the amps cooler.

The Amps are mounted on a 3/4" mdf piece screwed to the box, I guess on the back? They are in between my rear seats and box. I'll keep a close eye on their temps, I havent been playing my system too much because I took the sub out. The amps are more in shade than anything else

2015 Scion tC

Rockford Fosgate T2D215

The ambient heat in the car can reach 170'+ if left in the sun.  I have already encountered my SQ monoblock (similar to your Skar) going into thermal protect so I had to add a couple fans.  My amps are in a spot with little circulation though.

Just something to consider...

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived