Little advice on amp power wiring

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow dont i feel a little out of my depth here haha. I thought once the motor is running a high amp alternator would provide the juice, i always thought running extra batteries was for competition when running the system without the motor on? Any of you helpful guys be able to draw up a quick diagram of how you think the setup should be? 

20 hours ago, AlpineNut said:

If you are gong to be running those amps I would highly recommend having fuses near them, the DD M4 has no fuses built in where the S4B does.

http://ddaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/M3c-M4b-M5-Owners-Manual_0.pdf

http://ddaudio.com/product-archive/series/product/s4b/

You only need fuses FROM a power source.  I agree OP needs more batteries but if he doesnt run more than the one under hood, there is no use for a second fuse in his power run from the front to the amps.  If a rear battery is added, then another fuse is necessary (from a safety perspective).

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

3 hours ago, vroom said:

Wow dont i feel a little out of my depth here haha. I thought once the motor is running a high amp alternator would provide the juice, i always thought running extra batteries was for competition when running the system without the motor on? Any of you helpful guys be able to draw up a quick diagram of how you think the setup should be? 

You'll be alright.  You just need a bit more electrical than you expected.  The car is going to be taxing the main battery; ignition, spark, fan motors, lights, gauges etc...it needs X amount of stable current, which comes from the battery.  The alt just charges the battery.  That phat pair of amps you plan to use can drain that battery pretty quickly.  At max output, I would guesstimate the pair of amps to eat up about 600 amps.  Double what your 300a alt can put out.  Now, you won't be using up 600a all the time, but if you are rocking it loudly a lot, you'll likely be using more than 300a...and that juice will come from the battery/batteries.

You will want another battery, maybe two.  A 6kw system is no joke.

You might look through the members build section of the site to see how others have worked it out. 

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Sorry for all the noob questions..... so with these dual battery setups does it require a switching relay like a camping setup to switch charge betwwen the batteries? Or do they just get hard wired all together with fuses inline

No switches or anything needed.  The batteries just connect in parallel, + to + and then neg to ground.  If you put the extra battery (or more) in the trunk, you can tap off of them to power your amps and whatever goodies you want back there.

You will need fusing close to the + terminals on each battery, but you can then run cables from the rear battery to your fused distro block.  It may seem to be overkill to use the extra fuses but you sure don't want a short or the resulting fire.  You would also need to disconnect both grounds to do some types of electrical work to the car as even if you disco the neg from the front battery the system will still be live because of the rear battery.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived