Little advice on amp power wiring

I say get a couple of fat batteries. You're going to need that power

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

• 10 months later...

hi guys, yes its been a long time and my project went nowhere until now. finally getting back on it. so im going to be running a second battery out the back as advised. 2 0 gauge cables fused coming out of the front amp then fused going into the rear amp then 2 0 gauge going inside the cab to a fused disto block then into the DD amps...... does that sound right? also what size fuses will i need for the 2 0 gauge cables? running M4b and S4b 

5 hours ago, vroom said:

hi guys, yes its been a long time and my project went nowhere until now. finally getting back on it. so im going to be running a second battery out the back as advised. 2 0 gauge cables fused coming out of the front amp then fused going into the rear amp then 2 0 gauge going inside the cab to a fused disto block then into the DD amps...... does that sound right? also what size fuses will i need for the 2 0 gauge cables? running M4b and S4b 

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "2 0 gauge cables fused coming out of the front amp then fused going into the rear amp"

A diagram will help you a lot when it comes to remembering what to do when you get around to wiring everything.

I fuse my 0 gauge ofc at 300 amps unless I am using a fuse for an amp with no internal fuse. Then I fuse according to the max draw of that amp. Some do it differently but this is what I do. 

My DC 2k calls for a 200 amp fuse if I am remembering right and my P600x4 calls for a 100 amp fuse but I used 4 gauge for that amp not 0 gauge. 

That s4b has fuses internally so I am pretty sure you are alright without fusing it from the rear battery to the amp unless you want to protect the wire from any shorts - up to you.

The M4b (no internal fuses) has a max current draw of 500 A. So you could fuse each 0 gauge input at either 250 or 300. 

If your runs are short from your rear battery you don't have much to worry about, just don't fuse above the wires rating (0 gauge ofc - 300 amp fuse) and you will be fine. Some split there amps fuse rating in half for dual inputs others don't. I would do whatever fuse you have on hand 250 or 300 and you should be good. 

cheers for that, ill run 250 amp fuses just to be safe. how would you recommend i ground the amps? a common disto block or both amps straight to the body by shortest length? also a another dumb question.... i would not need to join the the 2 battery negatives together would i?

Archived