Extra securing methods for rivetnuts?

Just put 4 in the trunk. Drilled a small hole then used a round file to get it just so the rivet would slide in tight.

VM-1

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Hertz HSK 165XL

Arc Audio KS 300.2

Linear Power 1002 Full Mods

Fi Audio Q 10s

Sundown Audio Scv 3000

Big 3

XS Power D5100 Juice Box 20AH

Singer Alternator

Sky High Wire

<p>My Ebay feedback. http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback

6 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

I would almost use an epoxy over CA glue. CA can be strong, but it can also be very brittle depending on what type your using, and how much accelerator is used.
I would possibly try getting epoxy between the rivet and panel that your installing the rivet to before compressing it.

Yah an epoxy made specifically for bonding metals would probably be way better than CA, but thats all i had on hand. Not even sure if the CA helped really lol it couldve just been the reinstall of a new rivetnut that worked better the second time around. 

3 hours ago, DTS909 said:

Just put 4 in the trunk. Drilled a small hole then used a round file to get it just so the rivet would slide in tight.

Thats the key with these, making the perfect fit before the compression. I fkd up by using a unibit instead of the right size drill bit. I was scared of how the drill shot thru the metal panel once the drillbit bit into the metal. If my window was down, it wouldve shattered lol. The unibit doesnt have a spiral thread so it doesnt shoot thru like a spear once it bites in, like a normal drill it will. 

9 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

I would almost use an epoxy over CA glue. CA can be strong, but it can also be very brittle depending on what type your using, and how much accelerator is used.

Accelerator or no, it is very brittle.  CA glue is unbeatable for some applications but I wouldn't trust it for what OP is doing.  I also would expect it to shatter under vibration.  

JB weld is very good for metal on metal and is very solid when cured.  Might give that a whirl.  That said, I think something else is going wrong if the rivets are spinning, specifically slightly too large hole.

Either your crimper is not large enough to compress it completely and/or the hole is to large for the rivnut you are using.

Either way, i would get a piece or two of sheet metal and plenty of rivnuts and practice on the scrap metal to see how well the nut gets secured, it will take a certain amount of pressure to get the nut secure enough to not spin. Once it is secured, using it will only cause it to dig more into the metal preventing it from loosening.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I'd think a dab of loctite would help secure it in place. But in all honesty, that shouldn't be an issue anyway

9 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Thats the key with these, making the perfect fit before the compression. I fkd up by using a unibit instead of the right size drill bit. I was scared of how the drill shot thru the metal panel once the drillbit bit into the metal. If my window was down, it wouldve shattered lol. The unibit doesnt have a spiral thread so it doesnt shoot thru like a spear once it bites in, like a normal drill it will. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-drill-stop-set-38336.html

Just now, SnowDrifter said:

I'd think a dab of loctite would help secure it in place. But in all honesty, that shouldn't be an issue anyway

Correct, it shouldnt be an issue.  The only time I spun a correctly-set rivnut is when I cross-threaded it or had shit in the threads.  And in both cases, that was my own fault.  I've seriously torqued down plenty of rivnuts with no issues

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived