Second Skin Audio

Port Velocity Equation

DLHgn

Hey guys and gals, i've been looking everywhere it seems for an equation to calculate port velocity and I can't really seem to find one that is

A.) Accurate 

and/or

B.)Take into account power and/or net box volume. 

I've seen/used Triticum's port area calculator which is in it's own right awesome but i'm looking be able to calculate the actual max port velocity given a specific volume, port area, power and tuning. I found one that seemed promising but it didn't produce accurate results and didn't take into account the net box volume. If you're wondering what i'm doing, i'm working on a program for some car audio stuff. Don't want to really say specifics yet until I can get it in a more final form. Then I can link it on here for y'all to test and suggest features. It's mostly done but I want to add this last feature before I send it out. I think y'all will find it to be quite useful and easy to use.  I'm very excited about it. 

Thanks in advance for y'all's input. Hopefully I can finally get this figured out!

I've seen this formula and already tried it but it doesn't take into account net box volume. It also didn't produce a number that corresponded with WindIsd and Hornresp.

what you looking for is to pay for a program like Bass Box Pro 6 or Term-Pro.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

There is a lot to see in modeling software relevant to a design other than port area,   questionable methods like random formulas / calculators / rules of thumb and such should only be used when there's not enough infos about the drivers to do modeling or just as a quick reference.

6 hours ago, fasfocus00 said:

what you looking for is to pay for a program like Bass Box Pro 6 or Term-Pro.

I have modeling software programs and know how to use them. That's how I'm testing the accuracy of the equations. 

3 minutes ago, Joe X said:

There is a lot to see in modeling software relevant to a design other than port area,   questionable methods like random formulas / calculators / rules of thumb and such should only be used when there's not enough infos about the drivers to do modeling or just as a quick reference.

I don't need modeling software and trust me, I completely agree with you.  

Talk to Triticum. On his "Improved Port Area Calculator" topic, his second post explains the "power density" he calculates to factor in box size in the equation, but he does not give what his actual equation is. He is probably your best bet for getting an answer.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

41 minutes ago, Hellbilly429 said:

Talk to Triticum. On his "Improved Port Area Calculator" topic, his second post explains the "power density" he calculates to factor in box size in the equation, but he does not give what his actual equation is. He is probably your best bet for getting an answer.

I think I've asked him before and didn't really know either. I did find a post on another site where he explained his methods and I've seen his equation. If I can't find what I'm looking for, that may be my best option. 

Archived