Alright so I have gotten into backpack hunting and I was hiking around last year with a Howa 1500 in 6.5 creedmoor which well...is a 10-12lb gun lugging around the woods.

I want to build an ultralight AR10

Specs I am looking for:

Overall weight under 7.5lbs, preferably with the scope but I know that will be tough

Polymer lower/ultralight lower

fluted 18-22" barrel, ported maybe?

traditional style stock that I can throw a Graco or Hart recoil reducer in (this is more of a nice to have)

Timney or some type of adjustable trigger

Is this doable for under $2k? If so can you guys make some recommendations on parts selection? I have never built an AR and while I know accuracy will not be perfect I would like to keep it within 1 MOA or 1.5 inches which I am told is doable, at least with a .308.

I was looking at parts from DPMS and palmetto arms but I am little lost because there are so many options.  

A friend of mine just built an 6.5 Creed AR-10.  He tried to keep unnecessary weight off it, but it still came out over 9 lbs.  I think keeping one under 7.5 lbs is going to be a pretty tall order.  

When you say $2k budget, is that including optic & rings or not?

How far are you shooting and what are you going to be shooting at?  If you really want to keep things lightweight and don't NEED .308 or 6.5C firepower you might be better off with a 6.5 Grendel AR-15.  

image.thumb.png.734dc679797dfd00ca9abd07f2b32f9a.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

400yrds, Elk and yea ideally I would shoot 300 win mag but I thought I could make 308 work as well. 

from everything I have looked at theres going to be no way to get under 10lbs which sucks. Even going with lighter weight titanium stuff it seems to not really matter and is just going to kill accuracy. 

I may just grab a different bolt gun. I was kinda hoping of finally building an AR though...

Yeah, going light makes it tough.  

You should build an AR anyway though, they are awesome.  

For lightweight bolt guns, I have a different friend that has a Savage Lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Its a really nice gun and they weigh in at about 5.5 lbs before optic:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

2 hours ago, Crazy 8s Drums said:

.223 / 5.56 still has plenty of killing power at 400 yards.  A 20" heavy barrel AR-15 would do just fine, imo.

Not for elk.

Builds:

Agreed.  My 12.5 inch ar10 is over that weight mark. Look into a ruger American if you want a lightweight gun. My ranch in 300 blk is a featherweight. 

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived