Second Skin Audio

Building a box advice on using jigzaw

First I apologise if I'm putting this in the wrong place.  I'm trying to rebuild my box because my first go around was pretty bad.  The only tool I have to cut wood is a jigsaw, so I made a guide for it to ride against to make sure the cuts are straight but no matter how many times I try the blade walks away from the guide and into my piece.  I've changed to a new blade and it still does it.  I don't feel like I'm pushing it into the wood and as far as I can tell the base is at 0 and it's not an orbiter saw.  I'm just wondering if anyone here would know what im doing wrong.  I'm using a Bosch T101B blade that says "for wood" and I'm cutting 3/4" mdf

From my understanding some jigsaws allow you to adjust the "hop up" of the blade so it is less and allows for a slower but more accurate cut. Regardless it just takes a long time. I used a circular saw for my large straight cuts rather than try it with a jig saw. 

Only suggestion I have is slow down the speed your cutting at with less of a trigger pull, atleast on mine if you pull the trigger less the blade itself slows down.

Goodluck man! Sure someone else will have better tips

You can probably pick up a used circular saw at a pawn shop for not much. You would be way better off. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Some hardware/lumber stores will do the cutting for you, the RONA i go to charges a buck a cut.

Great for apartment dwellers like myself with no garage/shop space.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

That's my go-to blade, however it is pretty flexible when heated and requires you to actually push dead on straight. 

When you hold the jigsaw down on wood, it should be flat at all times, the rear should never lift up as you push.

When you use a guide, lightly ride against it dont push on it.

Took me years to cut straight lmao, good luck.

Have home Depot or Lowe's cut your pieces. All you really have to do is make the sides, front and back and port pieces 1 rip. That way you know every piece is the same. I've actually been lazy before and had them cut my pieces. Lol. Table saw was in storage. Worked out fine. I'm a carpenter btw... Damn that's bad. ?

I had home Depot cut the parts for my first box, and the board for this one so I could fit it in my car, I'm convinced that they don't teach their employees how to read a tape measure because I asked for 3 32" pieces and when put together all 3 are around 1-1 1/2" off from the other.  My last box was so bad because of how off the cuts were.  I wanted to do it myself because I felt I could do a better job.

I thank everyone for the tips, I will try again going slow.

When i had my stuff cut i brought my own tape to check them as they where done for that very reason.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

I should have done that, I had left my tape measures at home because I had to remove everything from the trunk to make the wood fit. 

On a side note I went to a place that sells like reclaimed wood and stuff and they actually had a circular saw for $20.  It's a 18v Roybi cordless circular saw, I got the saw and charger and will have to buy a battery.

Archived