Second Skin Audio

15" SP4 v1 Enclosure help

4 hours ago, GorillaFIngeRs said:

Decided to tune lower. Worked with a buddy on design. Throwing this out to see what you guys think. Gonna start build this weekend, cant wait to hear this damn thing. Thanks for all the input so far. 

30hz.jpg

Make it jus a tad bigger and add a little bit of bracing and 45° pieces in the corners. I would personally try to tune around 32 myself. Jmo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got a lotta power... I'd say try for over 16in2 per ft minimum if you want it around 4ft3 net. Might have to go taller if that's the only way you can go, IDK how you want it configured but as far as airspace/port area with your power I'd sure try to find more port area if it was me.

65in2 would be about right IMO

1 hour ago, GorillaFIngeRs said:

Why?

This is from the horses mouth ( Fi audio)...

"3.5-4cuft tune to 28-32 with 60-70 sqin port"

I'm in Vegas and they're building me woofers. I just texted a main employee and that's what he just sent me. Just letting you know what they said. 

I've always gone with 65ish in2 of port area with high excursion/power 15's to avoid compression... here... I whipped one up for your power in the approximate space you got available. Probably not configured correctly and it's a V2 but IMO it's a good example of what you're lookin' for...

NwLJPT.jpg

It turned out smallish as the tune you're lookin' for really displaces some air (port displacement)... but should do fine IMO.

I'd err on the hi-side of 16in2^ft3 for your power if you can find the space.

What would I lose out on by decreasing box size? Im willing to tune to 32hz if thats recommended i would like some good bandwidth so that should help. looking like a 5" wide port to meet port area.

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4
1/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground

1/0 Sky High Big 3 Upgrade
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

Ok so I will measure again too see if i can make it to 14.5" tall but i believe this is the best i can do. and this is maxing out my space for the most part. I could maybe move some stuff around if need be. Also, sub will be oriented facing up with port on back right facing passenger side of car fwiw.

SP4 32hz 387cubes.PNG

AQ3500.1
15" Fi SP4
1/0 Knuconceptz Power/Ground

1/0 Sky High Big 3 Upgrade
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
XS Power D1200 Underhood

Intimidator Gel In Trunk

CES 250A Alternator

2 hours ago, GorillaFIngeRs said:

Ok so I will measure again too see if i can make it to 14.5" tall but i believe this is the best i can do. and this is maxing out my space for the most part. I could maybe move some stuff around if need be. Also, sub will be oriented facing up with port on back right facing passenger side of car fwiw.

SP4 32hz 387cubes.PNG

That looks pretty good but remember that bracing will change tuning a little. If it were me I would punch in .20 in the bracing section to account for 45° and say a 1.5" dowel at least. Just to see what happens to tuning. Jmo

A set of 3" 45's  (2) is 2.12x2.12xh... in this case 12.5"... so 56.18 divided by 1728=.0325... double that for 4 ea 45's to .07.

A 1.5" dowel is h x 1.76... in this case 22 ÷1728 or .012 so together its .08ft3 displacement for bracing if you go that route.  

A 4" is 2.86 x2.86 x h... so its more displacement... not 100% dead on but pretty darn close.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

A set of 3" 45's  (2) is 2.12x2.12xh... in this case 12.5"... so 56.18 divided by 1728=.0325... double that for 4 ea 45's to .07.

A 1.5" dowel is h x 1.76... in this case 22 ÷1728 or .012 so together its .08ft3 displacement for bracing if you go that route.  

A 4" is 2.86 x2.86 x h... so its more displacement... not 100% dead on but pretty darn close.

Hope that helps

So how much give or take should he punch in? I was just throwing a number out there as an example to see what would happen to his tuning. Good info on the displacement math BTW

Archived