Tweeter Attenuation

bam334

I’m running 2 sets of Memphis SixFive series 6.5” components on a JBL Gtr104 amp. Pioneer 490 double din. Wondering which option is better for getting some extra “sparkle” out of my tweeters. 

Leave them set at 0db(flat) on the crossover and boost the deck EQ a bit to compensate, or 

set them to +3db on the crossover and leave them flat or cut a bit on the deck EQ. 

Which is better on the amp/passive crossover as far as keeping the signal clean and not introducing extra stress(heat) at the amp/crossover?

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-Billet silver metallic under ice blue pearl

- midnight blue vinyl top

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

-smoke grey with blue inserts and piping

Audio

- coming soon

Test and tune my brother. There’s no “end all be all” setting in Car Audio.

come back and give us your review ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I spent a couple days finding the optimal tweeter setting for my setup. 

Try it out as ^^^ said and see what you like best.

The sound is great. I was really surprised with em. I turned off the built in cross over on the HU just to see how they sound completely full pass and they play really clean and they do it loudly. They’re at about 90 Watts@2ohms. Of course they’ll be highpassed with the substage on.

My question was more about what’s better for them and the amp longevity wise. Flat on the passive crossover and boosted on HU or flat on the HU and +3 on the passive crossover. 

This is my first “done correctly” set up so I wanted to be sure. 

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-Billet silver metallic under ice blue pearl

- midnight blue vinyl top

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

-smoke grey with blue inserts and piping

Audio

- coming soon

• 1 month later...

You will be less likely to clip the signal with +3 on the passive and flat on the eq. I always prefer to to take peaks out with the eq rather than boost any of the frequencies, thats not always an option but its the game plan i always start with.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Archived