4 hours ago, AdamSR said:

What board is the Orion using? Is it a common board do other amps use a similar design? Either way looks to be one badass amplifier and I'm wondering why the next amplifier up from this one, doesn't have the same 3 power and 3 ground inputs as this one does. Still very impressive I wonder how the longevity of this amp is. Definitely thanks for the testing Big D I watch all of your videos

You're looking at the 5000.1d. look at 5000.1dsplx. the splx is their new line. They make a 12500.1dsplx that's nuts. 

11 hours ago, BigDWiz said:

No not refurb'ed. I borrowed it from a friend. After testing, I contacted some techs I know to ask if the results were expected. The response I was given was "yes". This is why I didn't question the results honestly. I was told this was essentially a beefed up SAZ-2500D and should do right at 3000 at 14.4...and that's what I got for the most part.

The xtr 2500.1dz beats the scv-3000 at 14.4... to be honest I live in Vegas and my 2500.1dz only thermals on >105° days if I'm beating on it and my seats are up. Solid amp. With that said Orion needs to ditch the cheesey end caps and get a metal bass knob ( zenon needs to step this up as well) with a clip detector. Throw in a subsonic from like 10-60 hz and they'd be considered a legit upper level line. You can't deny the 12.6 volt test on ANY AND EVERY XTR AND HCCA AMP with exception to the 4000.1 D that I noticed has a lot of 3900 Watt birth sheets and I honestly doubt the reliability using a single power input. I could see the power supply on those frying pretty easily and no internal cooling on a 4000 watt amp. Other than that the entire hcca line and XTR line is solid. Jmo and experience with Orion. I don't know why so many people are still sleeping on them. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda hard to call the Orion a 3K amp.  Underrated AF.  Bang for the buck... a great deal.  No subsonic though?  Cmon... Most ppl are ported in the 30s and not sharp enough to be careful with them low notes.  Thats a poor decision by Orion, IMO.

I figured Twisted Sounds 3.5K was absent from this test since they claim 4500Wrms at 1ohm in the manual and that it wasnt a true 3.5k board.  I'd argue this Orion isnt a 3K board, either.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Guess they're counting on you to set your subsonic filter through your deck, or be smart about playing below tuning.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Issue, could be reliability. I've hear of several Orion boards shitting the bed. I haven't used personally,  but read several comments about relaibily with the korean/Chinese Orion boards.  No hate here, I've just seen a LOT of those types of posts elsewhere. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, WalledSonic said:

Kinda hard to call the Orion a 3K amp.  Underrated AF.  Bang for the buck... a great deal.  No subsonic though?  Cmon... Most ppl are ported in the 30s and not sharp enough to be careful with them low notes.  Thats a poor decision by Orion, IMO.

I figured Twisted Sounds 3.5K was absent from this test since they claim 4500Wrms at 1ohm in the manual and that it wasnt a true 3.5k board.  I'd argue this Orion isnt a 3K board, either.  

Yup. A fuck ton of talk on fb and places they under rated the board. Fuck, who cares. Look at dollar per watt, and the Orion still fucked it up. Kinda like the "4ks" we run. They have trip inputs/outputs also,... am I upset they underrated it??? Fuck no.  Again,  look at the cost per. It's no contest. 

I've read a ton of reliability issues with the board. All from others. I have no personal shit, or horse in the race. But the fact is, that board clearly put performed the scv on THIS test. Period. But, I'd still probably run the sundown lol, personally. 

^^^^^What he said.... hell at the CES showdown last January Orion had 3 guys on hand repairing amps that went down for the team Orion guys....and I'll just say they stayed busy ?️‍♂️

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I was very surprised the Sundown 3K didn't put up better numbers.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Archived