Head gasket 96 sonoma 4.3vortec

Is that way over my head? To replace gaskets. I know its time consuming with all the disassembly and reassembly, but is there any special knowledge and tools needed to complete a job like that? Shop says labor is almost 2k, gaskets is like $100 lol, im thinking i can save my bros truck and save a ton of money if i do it myself. Im just unsure how technical of a job it is and if theres special sensor tools or gauges ect that would be needed. 

I know it would make more sense to use the s10forum site but im comfortable here and know ill get some input here. 

Back story on the truck, i heard my bro got his GED so that same morning i went on craigslist and scooped up the most dencent lookin cheap truck i could find to get him as a present for "graduating". I had noooooo clue about mechanics, it started fine. and i didnt see it smoking during the test drive. I was stoked and so was my bro when i handed him the keys. Couple days later it over heats, oil on the driveway, freeze plugs were leaking and engine mounts were worn out causig the motor to shift and bang the radiator hose causing more coolant leakage. Paid to have those fixed and the shop didnt replace ALL the freeze plugs so then the ones they left started leaking and over heated again. Took it in so they could do it right this time and the head gasket blew after they replaced the freeze plugs. They told us its not worth it to fix all that becuase the labor alone would cost more than the truck is worth. BUT this truck already got a lil sentimental value being i got it for him and its his first vehicle. I feel like diving into that would expand my mechanical noob knowledge if it worked out. 

Is it worth it and possible for me??? For the sentimental value. Its been sitting forever already but i just cant dump it, besides his value for it, i put a bunch $$ into it already. 

What kind of condition is the rest of the truck in, like if you do the work is something else just gonna break a week later, or is it all rotted out?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It's definitely do-able. The issue you will most likely run into is warped heads (even if they're off just a little), which you will need a machinist to plane the heads before putting new gaskets on, otherwise it will leak again.

What do you have to lose other than some time and effort? Pull the heads, assess the damage, then make your decisions from there.

You can always replace the motor if the damage is too much, which you should be able to find one used for under $1k https://www.ebay.com/i/371831612720?chn=ps

Good luck!

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

11 hours ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

What kind of condition is the rest of the truck in, like if you do the work is something else just gonna break a week later, or is it all rotted out?

Nothing special. Its was just meant to be a AtoB kinna work/beach truck. I know the suspension is all worn too so rides rough but i just want it to be driveable atleast. 

64137525-8F37-42CD-99CF-2271BDA0B85A.thumb.jpeg.b9a07eeee0c4c3dc615d821199b5e57d.jpeg0A07672A-796A-4E3D-BB78-784C0F2C9064.thumb.jpeg.b9061d974a7fa8e12dae2e8ae53c6e7b.jpegCFCF8A46-22E5-4C75-8D8F-BB49FF08CB5D.thumb.jpeg.3993bcbd90af2fe5854006b0bc9cae60.jpeg

Again, as long as the heads are not warped, you should be fine. Keep everything in labeled bags, take lots of pictures, and have at it.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

if you think you can get away without surfacing the heads. Tear it down. I would say, if you are going to tear into it that far you really should do it right and replace timing parts and swap out the pop-it valves for real injectors and of course you will need exhaust manifold gaskets, intake gaskets so on and so forth. not just head gaskets. it all adds up quick. 

Have you checked the oil for milkshake?

edit: i would definitely have the heads checked for cracks and have them surfaced. just my .02 thats gonna set you back a couple hundred at least.

Who needs knowledge these days for working on cars?

If you can turn a wrench, and aren't the intelligence equivalent of a potato you can do this job.

All the info you need is online, via write ups and youtube videos.

These trucks are easy to work on, time consuming but easy.

Personally i might consider throwing a reman long block in it.

When things have been overheated multiple times everything starts to get a little fucky.

I agree with duck though, if youre gonna do it do it all or you'll end up having to tear it apart again at a later date.

Or, just throwing this out there, Ls swap it.

Whatever you decide to do make it a project you guya tackle together.

Be as meticulous as your are with your audio installs and you'll be fine no matter what you decide to do.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived