Head gasket 96 sonoma 4.3vortec

Also, no matter what anyone tells you absolutely do not reuse head bolts under any circumstances, they are one and done, period.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, strangeduck said:

if you think you can get away without surfacing the heads. Tear it down. I would say, if you are going to tear into it that far you really should do it right and replace timing parts and swap out the pop-it valves for real injectors and of course you will need exhaust manifold gaskets, intake gaskets so on and so forth. not just head gaskets. it all adds up quick. 

Have you checked the oil for milkshake?

edit: i would definitely have the heads checked for cracks and have them surfaced. just my .02 thats gonna set you back a couple hundred at least.

A few hundred is alright, alot better than couple thousand for labor only. 

Is that an expensive thing to do, having the heads resurfaced?

1 hour ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Who needs knowledge these days for working on cars?

If you can turn a wrench, and aren't the intelligence equivalent of a potato you can do this job.

All the info you need is online, via write ups and youtube videos.

These trucks are easy to work on, time consuming but easy.

Personally i might consider throwing a reman long block in it.

When things have been overheated multiple times everything starts to get a little fucky.

I agree with duck though, if youre gonna do it do it all or you'll end up having to tear it apart again at a later date.

Or, just throwing this out there, Ls swap it.

Whatever you decide to do make it a project you guya tackle together.

Be as meticulous as your are with your audio installs and you'll be fine no matter what you decide to do.

Lol engine swap???? Nah thats wayyyyy over my head, im just thinking i can replace a few things that are just simple. Think i will try to tackle this. Just feel hesistant, havent even changed my own oil before or simple things like that. BUT i guess i can say i did some mechanic work when i swapped my alt lol.

1 hour ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Also, no matter what anyone tells you absolutely do not reuse head bolts under any circumstances, they are one and done, period.

I will definatly try to pay better attention to torque ratings if i do this lol dont wanna snap any more bolt heads off.

keep in mind, i had a ton of work done by one of the best shops in KC and the owner was a friend of my dad. Just a resurface, if it needs it, and a flux check may not be that much. I would at least talk to a shop and see if they can look it oer ad give an estimate and then decide. I really wouldnt trust a head from an engine that has been hot without testing it.

You can do it, just take your time and pay attention.

Make sure you use the proper torque specs for all the bolts.

Worst case scenario you break something, and parts for these trucks are cheap as fuck.

Cost might still be over a g doing it yourself if you do it the right way and replace other things while its torn apart.

Reman heads are cheap for these motors, id just pick a set up and turn yours in as cores, because they are most likely warped from being overheated multiple times.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

11 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

keep in mind, i had a ton of work done by one of the best shops in KC and the owner was a friend of my dad. Just a resurface, if it needs it, and a flux check may not be that much. I would at least talk to a shop and see if they can look it oer ad give an estimate and then decide. I really wouldnt trust a head from an engine that has been hot without testing it.

The truck doesnt run tho and hasnt ran in almost a year i think. I could get remove the heads and take them into a shop to test it?

13 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

You can do it, just take your time and pay attention.

Make sure you use the proper torque specs for all the bolts.

Worst case scenario you break something, and parts for these trucks are cheap as fuck.

Cost might still be over a g doing it yourself if you do it the right way and replace other things while its torn apart.

Reman heads are cheap for these motors, id just pick a set up and turn yours in as cores, because they are most likely warped from being overheated multiple times.

Oh a reman is a head, i thought u were saying do an engine swap with a reman. Lol. Yah maybe that would be best, just replace the heads.

Archived