05 Silverado electrical help

Had this truck since it was bought new in 2005 and had a decent system in it for the longest time. I had taken that system out and sold it thinking I was going to buy a new truck. But short story I ended up keeping it and decided to put a real system in it. Originally I was going to do only one 15" sub but then after getting the stuff I changed my mind and ordered a second sub and amp and batteries.

I got two Orion 15" HCCA, 2 Orion XTR 2500.1, Rockford Fosgate 6.5" components on a  RF Punch 150w x2 amp. Also a cheap pair of 4x6 in the back doors running off a cheap amp just for filler till I can get something better done for mids and highs. Mechman 370 amp alt, XS Power D3400, 2 XS Power XP3000 and I have still have my old Kenwood DPX-501BT head unit. Double runs of 2/0 copper welding cable on everything from the alt to the back batteries.

So for over the past month Iv'e been trying to fix the alternator whine - ground loop noise in my truck. Iv'e tried everything for fixes that I could find on the web. Just wasting time and my sanity at this point and am left with more questions than answers. 

Anyone else have this issue in your 05 or newer GM truck and get it resolved?

Have you read through this article yet?

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

You're welcome! Let us know if you figure it out or not.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

I worked on it a bit yesterday and ended up moving all my amp grounds short as possible to points on the body. That got rid of the majority of the noise. I really don't hear noise coming through my speakers anymore but the alternator still has some whine but not as bad. Working a lot of overtime at work so it's gonna be a bit before I can do some more work on it. But at least this is a start in the right direction. Only wish I installed this system piece by piece and not everything at once expecting it to be perfect.

Ha, been there, done that! When you say "alternator whine", does the whine get louder when accelerating?

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the whine changes with acceleration, kinda sounds like the engine is supercharged or something. You can really hear it good when your in a drive-thru.

I ended up replacing my 2 two-channel amps for my mids and highs with an Orion 4ch XTR amp. Wanted to have one less device in the truck.

Testing stuff the past couple days I completely disconnected my entire audio system and only had the front battery to the alternator hooked up and it still makes a whining noise. At this point I'm not sure if this is just normal noise or what.

The thing that is screwy on my truck is the ground load sensor it uses. Mechman said that only a negative wire going through the factory negative load sensor and that no extra ground wires were needed. The instructions also said to remove the factory ground wire. My truck had two factory ground wires crimped together going through the negative load sensor to the battery. One end went to the engine block, the other down to the frame.  I removed those. With those removed I get a "Service 4WD" message on my display. I ran a ground wire from the frame to battery negative and the message went away. I never seen a setup not use the big 3 so the installation instruction have me a little confused. I think on my next day off I'm going to throw my stock alt back in for fun and see if there is any alternator whine with that one.

I highly doubt Mechman meant not to run the big 3 by those instructions, especially since running smaller gauge wire on a high output alternator could cause issues with their product.

Probably silly questions, but are the RCA's run on the opposite side of the power wire, have you tried grounding the head unit to a different ground other than the factory ground wire, and are all of your amplifier grounds going to 1 location? Also, what RCA's are you running? You definitely want to make sure you have heavy shielded RCA's with that head unit since it only has 2.5V pre-outs.

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

where are the crossovers for the component set? what harness/module did you use to hook up your headunit?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Also 05 + silverado have a battery current sensor so you cant run a big 3 like normal.  Any ground thats run off the main battery the ground has to be ran through the sensor. And batery thats hooked up to the main battery

Archived