Second Skin Audio

More power vs a bigger box

smb577

Another noob here. I have an Orion HCCA 12" 2 ohm woofer. The manual says for the box specs 2.5cu box tuned at 38Hz with a port of 5×5×14.54 for a power range of 1200-2000 watts and 1.5cu box tuned at 40Hz with a port of 14x2x30.33 for a power range of 2000+ watts. With very strong electrical and room for the box size not an issue, what would be the positives and negatives for each box as regards to how it will sound or what type of sound it would have. The amp is an Orion XTR2500.1Dz. It does right at 3000 watts clean usable power and I have a 390A alternator and two XS 3400 batteries. Which box would you choose personally and why? The woofer rms watts are 2500, the xmax is 30, the fs is 32.3. I tried to post a picture of the Ts parameters but the screen shot said the file was too big. Thanks for the help and everyone's knowledge in advance.

Both box options are tuned higher than whats typically used these days, but it depends on what kind of music you listen to.  

Both boxes need more port area with the amount of power you are running, especially the larger box with the 5" x 5" port, thats WAY too small. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm more curious as to why the different box sizes vs power, not so much as the tuning frequency. If you can achieve a desired excursion under less power with a bigger box then why would someone choose one over the other unless they have more power than room for the box? Now I'm curious about what a proper port area should be. Seems the more I learn the less I know.

Smaller boxes have lower excursion than a larger box and this can be very important when running high levels of power.  Another reason for using a different box size is it changes the frequency response.  Larger boxes have more output, but only around the tuning frequency.  This can result in peaky output if the box is too large.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, Twistedmister said:

Curious.  How do you like the hcca?  Does it sound good or just loud?  I have a chance to pick up a pair but want it to sound good not just loud.  

I would look somewhere else than. their recommended tuning should tell you it is not geared towards SQ.

Archived